+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What vax do we need before going to Bali?

My 3 and 4 yr old and I are going to Bali in July and I'm wondering what (if any) vax they will need..
    I'm totally up to date which is great but Do 3 and 4 yr old's need Hep shots? Typhoid? They are up to date on all their other vaccinations but I can't remember what they have had and what they haven't and it's been a while since I went any where so not sure what they need.

Any advice... Did you vaccinate your young kids when going to Bali?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RipperRita View Post
    My 3 and 4 yr old and I are going to Bali in July and I'm wondering what (if any) vax they will need..
    I'm totally up to date which is great but Do 3 and 4 yr old's need Hep shots? Typhoid? They are up to date on all their other vaccinations but I can't remember what they have had and what they haven't and it's been a while since I went any where so not sure what they need.

Any advice... Did you vaccinate your young kids when going to Bali?
    Do you still have their child health books? It should be recorded in their what they've had and when.

http://smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/v...vice/Indonesia - Have a read of the Health section.

I'd also visit your GP for some advice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (07-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You dont need vaccinations for Bali. We travel there a couple of times a year with our kids - now 6 and 7. I do take my own medical kit with
    • kids panadol/nurofen
    • polaramine (kid friendly antihistamine)
    • soov cream for bites and cuts
    • bandaids
    anything more serious than that needs a doctor I think. Make sure you sanitise the kids hands frequently - I think most bali belly comes from the money more than the water. I give my kids choc probiotic balls for the month before we go and while we are there. I also give them a vitamin supplement cause they are fussy eaters esp in the heat. Mozzie bites on my son are our biggest issue - so I am super vigilant with using tropical strength OFF all the time.
    The smoothies and juice is fine to have. Fruit that has skins is fine to have - oranges/ watermelon etc. I havent come across a restaraunt yet that wont cater for kids.

if you do get stuck the chemists are very good.

take a swimmers shampoo if any of you are fair headed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Raising Leprechauns For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (07-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Raising Leprechauns View Post
    You dont need vaccinations for Bali. We travel there a couple of times a year with our kids - now 6 and 7. I do take my own medical kit with
    • kids panadol/nurofen
    • polaramine (kid friendly antihistamine)
    • soov cream for bites and cuts
    • bandaids
    anything more serious than that needs a doctor I think. Make sure you sanitise the kids hands frequently - I think most bali belly comes from the money more than the water. I give my kids choc probiotic balls for the month before we go and while we are there. I also give them a vitamin supplement cause they are fussy eaters esp in the heat. Mozzie bites on my son are our biggest issue - so I am super vigilant with using tropical strength OFF all the time.
    The smoothies and juice is fine to have. Fruit that has skins is fine to have - oranges/ watermelon etc. I havent come across a restaraunt yet that wont cater for kids.

if you do get stuck the chemists are very good.

take a swimmers shampoo if any of you are fair headed.
    This. Make sure before you leave your hotel room every day that everyone is wearing sunscreen and insect repellant, and carry bottled water and hand sanitiser with you everywhere. It's also fairly common for people to take red cordial over to Bali, supposedly it helps to prevent/assist with Bali belly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope it's ok to link to this info http://www.traveldoctor.com.au/Trave...05/07&l=10&p=1

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (07-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's best to see your GP before travelling just to check.

A friend of mine picked up hep A from a trip to Bali - he wasn't vaccinated and was very unwell (ended up in hospital). He stayed in a nice hotel and ate from great restaurants.

ETA I used to organise a lot of overseas travel for work colleagues and we'd always send them to a travel Dr in the months leading up to travel, just to be on the safe side.
    Last edited by Taiyed; 07-05-2014 at 16:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We ended up going to the travel dr today on advice from friends and the kids got hep A and Typhoid and Dh and I got a couple of boosters as well.
    Our arms are throbbing... I think I'm complaining more than the kids but I feel a whole lot less anxious about the trip now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (07-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work for a travel medicine clinic and would very highly recommend Hep A vax for all family members- dont forget to go back in 6-12mths for your booster and then you will all have immunity for life

I would also make sure your Measles vax is up to date, it is usually age dependent as to what childhood vax schedule you were on - many people born between 1966 and mid 80s have waning MMR status - you can get a blood test to confirm immunity. There have been a lot of measles cases coming into Oz from SE Asia, and the WHO was recently involved in a mass vax campaign in Bali due to increase measles outbreak.

Just a warning about Rabies - there has been a significant increase in Rabies cases in Bali, and being a developing country many pets are not immunised and street dogs are plentiful. Rabies is a fatal disease! It can be carried by any mammal - so please stay away from any dogs, cats, monkeys (Do not got to the Monkey Forest!_ etc -at our clininc we treat 3-4 clients per week for Rabies exposure, many from Bali. Rabies is carried in saliva, so any bite or scratch need to be treated as a Rabies exposure and a medical emergency - in Bali you need to go immediately to the International Medical Centre (BIMC) - you will need 5 vax and Human Immunoglubulin injected in the wound, but should wait until you get to Oz for that as it is a Human blood product.

Really any traveller should be seeking health advice from a reputable Travel Doctor before travel - esp children and esp if travel is to a developing country.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (31-05-2014)