+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Update:

Well I spoke to the teacher and she said that homework is compulsory and she won't apologise for it as she's a firm believer in it even though she's had other parents complain about it. Children not doing homework will get a lower grade for 'effort' on their report card as otherwise its not fair to the kids doing homework.

She's also just this week started giving the children an extra 60 maths sums a week as she thinks they didn't score high enough on their last maths test as a class. These sums are like 58+26, not easy sums considering the kids are 8. This is on top of all the other homework. 60 of them!

The principal supports the homework policy.

And the class have been lectured on the importance of completing their homework and that students who don't do it will be getting in trouble.

I don't know what more I can do with this school. And I'm not the only one. Several other parents have withdrawn their kids and moved school this year citing the same reasons.

DD is enrolled at a different school for next year and on the waiting list for any vacancies that arise in the meantime. I'm so desperate to get her out of her current school. I wish they could see that these kids are not little robots and there is more to life than academic achievement. They're 8 for goodness sake!
    That us such bs. In writing email the principal your current understanding of what's expected, how long it's taking and ask for a copy of the school homework policy and departmental guidelines. Include everything about being marked down for "effort". I'd take them to task over this one @MissMuppet

Have you met with the principal personally? Of not, I think it's worth doing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (30-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Only the deputy in charge of the grade. The school have a 'like it or leave' attitude. The department already do not like the principal and they are known to fight constantly, with the principal always winning in the end. The school is over capacity and both the department and admin team are therefore happy when students transfer elsewhere so they feel they can adopt the 'our way or the highway' approach. Plus they have outstanding naplan results for their socio economic bracket and they also feel this is proof their approach works.

I disagree that naplan results are more important than the students emotional welfare so it seems the school is not a good fit for us. I'm quite emotionally exhausted by it. Sooner we can leave the better.