+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mandlsmum View Post
    Both our girls have NAPLAN this year. Due to our dd1 in year 5 having half of last year off due to diabetes issues, she is well behind the rest of her year. She also has dyspraxia and general learninh issues.
    We were given the exemption form for NAPLAN, completed it. Got a letter back to say it was rejected and she would be required to participate. It is placing unnecessary stress on her. Seriously considering just keeping her home from school during the tests.

I would have thought she would have met criteria for an exemption.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Nope. You have the right to withdraw your child - all parents do. Your school does not have the right to force her to participate. This made me very sad and angry. Happy to find sources for you if you need, but there's heaps with a basic google, including a pro forma for a letter you can send in.

At our school we ask our parents, and if they indicate no, we just send the form home for them to sign. There doesn't need to be approval. How ridiculous.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (06-05-2014),PomPoms  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got an official letter signed by the principal informing us that she had not met criteria. I was so cross because I couldn't find what the criteria was online.
    Thanks for your help. I will be requesting a meeting with the 4 teachers/principals involved. Thanks for that info. It will take a lot of stress off her shoulders.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We got an official letter signed by the principal informing us that she had not met criteria. I was so cross because I couldn't find what the criteria was online.
    Thanks for your help. I will be requesting a meeting with the 4 teachers/principals involved. Thanks for that info. It will take a lot of stress off her shoulders.

You don't need an exemption at all. If you don't want your child doing it, they don't have to. They can't force you to do it.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    wow - that is seriously wrong

your poor little one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Poor little poppetts

DD1 is in grade 4, the homework expectation is 30mins x 4 times a week, this includes: reading, maths, english & a brain teaser. DD's teacher just asks for a note if it isn't completed.

There wasn't a huge push on DD for Naplan, she completed the test but some kids did drawing instead & there were no issues. But her school does not agree with Naplan.

OP in your situation I would write a letter to the teacher advising them that your daughter will be doing 10mins reading & 15 mins of homework a day as that is all she can cope with. You can then explain the new rules to your daughter, emotional growth & development is so important at this age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's a ridiculous amount! I teach prep and they have reading to do each night, and some sight words to learn. That's it. They aren't pressured into doing them and there's no set completion. When they are ready to be reaps ted on their words they come and let me know! I have taught grade 3 and they had hwk once a week plus spelling (10 words) and times tables.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

I talked to my principal about you today. She advised me: if you keep DD home, she may be given the test on the designated catch up days, if she's at school then.

If you withdraw her for 'philosophical' reasons (kind of like conscientious objection) then she will have no data/no record etc. she also emailed me a document you can download and sign etc if you like (she's being very naughty!).

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I thought kindy was bad but ds is now in year 1. He is expected to do:
    -a reader every night
    - mathletics twice per week
    - some blimmin reading thing online that I haven't even looked at even though it's been on the fridge for a week
    - a maths sheet every fortnight
    - a spelling list every week
    -an activity sheet of 'things to do' each fortnight including: housework tasks, physical activities and at least 1 art/craft thing
    -an oral presentation with powerpoint or some other visual aid
    -a science sheet if the science teacher hands one out
    -and be working towards completing the premiers challenge.

Grrr. Too much for him and for me. I want him to be outside on his bike and skateboard without feeling the pressure of after school work. DS would feel he was letting his teacher down if he didn't get it all done. Oh and at the parent/teacher interview the obvious advice was 'and of course you need to read to your son every night'. Well I could if we weren't so over it by bedtime
    Last edited by BbBbBh; 08-05-2014 at 22:22.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (30-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Update:

Well I spoke to the teacher and she said that homework is compulsory and she won't apologise for it as she's a firm believer in it even though she's had other parents complain about it. Children not doing homework will get a lower grade for 'effort' on their report card as otherwise its not fair to the kids doing homework.

She's also just this week started giving the children an extra 60 maths sums a week as she thinks they didn't score high enough on their last maths test as a class. These sums are like 58+26, not easy sums considering the kids are 8. This is on top of all the other homework. 60 of them!

The principal supports the homework policy.

And the class have been lectured on the importance of completing their homework and that students who don't do it will be getting in trouble.

I don't know what more I can do with this school. And I'm not the only one. Several other parents have withdrawn their kids and moved school this year citing the same reasons.

DD is enrolled at a different school for next year and on the waiting list for any vacancies that arise in the meantime. I'm so desperate to get her out of her current school. I wish they could see that these kids are not little robots and there is more to life than academic achievement. They're 8 for goodness sake!