+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    You can opt out of home work, it's not compulsory.
    DD said her teacher told them any kids not doing homework would have their parents called and the teacher would be very disappointed. She's terrified of getting in trouble and is super conscientious. If it's set, and she knows doing it will make her teacher happy, then she gets incredibly anxious at the thought of not doing it. (If that makes sense).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    DD said her teacher told them any kids not doing homework would have their parents called and the teacher would be very disappointed. She's terrified of getting in trouble and is super conscientious. If it's set, and she knows doing it will make her teacher happy, then she gets incredibly anxious at the thought of not doing it. (If that makes sense).
    Totally makes sense. I've had parents approach me at the beginning of the year to opt out of home work for family reasons, different commitments etc.. Schools need to work with families and their different values rather than slapping them with a blanket home work policy. If naplan around when DS is at school I'll most likely pull him out of it, it holds no interest to me as a parent - pretty useless info really. Maybe have a chat with the teacher and explain your concerns.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (06-05-2014),PomPoms  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quite frankly, that's crap. Your teachers expectations should not be causing your child anxiety. I would be sitting down with the teacher and explaining that it is far too much but your child is too scared to not do it after her comments. It's not up to a teacher how much homework a child does at that age, it's up to the parents, plain and simple. I know my daughter'd teacher said that if you don't want your child doing homework to just write him a letter, but if there was no letter and no homework then the child would have to stay in at lunch time to do it on the Mon. I wrote a letter saying that my child would do the homework, but if she didn't she was not to be held in at lunch time (I don't agree with making kids do school work through designated breaks) and that she was not to be kept in if it wasn't done. It has never been a problem.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (06-05-2014),PomPoms  (06-05-2014),smallpotatoes  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whatever way I look at it I have to do something. Put my foot down about homework, maybe withdraw her from NAPLAN in protest, change schools, something. We have said no to ICAS. She's tired, and anxious about school (and so am I!) She's top of her class but it's coming at a cost I'm not happy with. Gah, it's hard being an adult sometimes and having to sort this stuff out.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (06-05-2014),Full House  (06-05-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    OP what is the school's HW policy? At our school we aren't allowed to set any new work, just practice or revision. I'd say if your DD is top of her class then it's extremely reasonable to say she doesn't need the extra practice!

I am philosophically opposed to setting HW in lower/middle primary as it is, but that's just ludicrous.

I'd write a diary note saying your child will be, say, reading with you for 15 mins per night, but will not be completing any other homework. And that you are happy for the teacher to contact you to discuss this. I think using the parent as a point of anxiety for young children is unforgivable. I can't help thinking that teacher must be feeling under a hell of a lot of pressure.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck Miss Muppet. I was going to withdraw my child from NAPLAN (I don't believe in it) but she is so excited about doing them so I'm going to let her go off and have fun with it, but have told her that the tests don't reflect her learning, and that they put some questions in the test that you haven't learnt yet so not to worry if they are too hard for her. I am happy for her that her learning environment is so positive she is excited about doing a test. Today she went to a friends house after school and they decided to do their homework together. She then told me that they 'did it really crazy so half of it's probably wrong, but who cares mummy, we were having fun and some of it will be right.' That's the attitude a child in year three should have. I know my niece changed schools due to the pressure her first school put on the kids to excel. She was really far behind in her reading and writing and they pushed her to the max to get her to catch up with her peers, but she was hiding under the covers begging to not have to go to school, at 5! So my SIL and BIL changed schools, and she was still behind in reading and writing, but they had a different approach to teaching and she excelled, to the point that she won a state wide creative writing competition when she was in year 5, and has never his under the covers and asked to not to go to school again.
    I think you're definitely doing the right thing by not letting this continue. Keep us updated on how it goes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both our girls have NAPLAN this year. Due to our dd1 in year 5 having half of last year off due to diabetes issues, she is well behind the rest of her year. She also has dyspraxia and general learninh issues.
    We were given the exemption form for NAPLAN, completed it. Got a letter back to say it was rejected and she would be required to participate. It is placing unnecessary stress on her. Seriously considering just keeping her home from school during the tests.

I would have thought she would have met criteria for an exemption.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    OP what is the school's HW policy? At our school we aren't allowed to set any new work, just practice or revision. I'd say if your DD is top of her class then it's extremely reasonable to say she doesn't need the extra practice!

I am philosophically opposed to setting HW in lower/middle primary as it is, but that's just ludicrous.

I'd write a diary note saying your child will be, say, reading with you for 15 mins per night, but will not be completing any other homework. And that you are happy for the teacher to contact you to discuss this. I think using the parent as a point of anxiety for young children is unforgivable. I can't help thinking that teacher must be feeling under a hell of a lot of pressure.
    Yes, I do think the teachers are under huge pressure. I honestly don't blame the teachers as a few of the grade three teachers this year have said they are just following orders and aren't happy themselves. And they are all lovely, and extremely hard working. I think there's a lot of pressure coming from above.

I'm philosophically against homework for junior years too. There's plenty of time for that in high school. But I'm also a stickler for following teachers orders (can see where DD gets it from) and have a hard time saying, 'no, we're not doing it'. I did force myself to raise the subject at the parent teacher interview but wasn't clear enough. The letter is a good idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mandlsmum View Post
    Both our girls have NAPLAN this year. Due to our dd1 in year 5 having half of last year off due to diabetes issues, she is well behind the rest of her year. She also has dyspraxia and general learninh issues.
    We were given the exemption form for NAPLAN, completed it. Got a letter back to say it was rejected and she would be required to participate. It is placing unnecessary stress on her. Seriously considering just keeping her home from school during the tests.

That's so wrong that they won't give you an exemption. NAPLAN seems to have really skewed the focus for grade three. It takes up way too much energy.

Thank you Party of Three. It's comforting to know that changing schools from an academically pushy school to one with a different approach can indeed work.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Full House  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mandlsmum View Post

NAPLAN isn't compulsory. Just keep your child home.