+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    Crazy amounts for such young kids!

I teach K-2 and I've always said to parents if the homework is causing stress or you can't fit it in don't bother. It just isn't worth the hassle. I tell them to make sure their child has read to them and share a story at bed time. Why can't we let kids be kids?!?

As for the NAPLAN prep I hate the pressure that is put on such young shoulders. A big fat f@ck you to the wonderful MySchool website for massively increasing the pressure on schools and young children to perform. So wrong

Me + DH = DS1 (6), DS2 (2) and #3 due September 8th
    All of this

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah we have a lot of homework too.... x 3.
    It's too much, we spend a LOT of time doing homework, and now this term, all three kids have to do a WEEKLY public speaking topic.
    Far. out. I almost cried when I read it LOL.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My youngest starts prep next year and I don't want him starting on this treadmill of pressure. It's been really worrying me.

I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and move schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like us, we are in qld too, I don't think changing school will help, its a state wide curriculum

Sent from my X10i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    My kids both get a stack of homework. In reality it's just homework for me cause I'm the one that has to go out and take the photos, prepare the talks, gather whatever items are required on top of the reading books, spelling and maths homework.
    I'm not really concerned if the kids don't do it all. Some days we are out of the house til 6pm or later and we just don't have time.
    My younger DS has been written off at school and doesn't even have to do school work there. An autistic child is too much trouble for them. So with that attitude, they clearly don't care about homework anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is in year 2 in Vic and in Prep they had readers and sight words, year 1 and now 2 just readers. It's 10 mins max. We don't actually bother with the readers as DS reads on the way to and from school so we count that as his reading and given that he gives us a rehash of the story every night we're happy enough that he's reading it properly. We have introduced some handwriting practice at home because it is atrocious and while the teacher isn't concerned it concerns me that she isn't so we do some practice at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can opt out of home work, it's not compulsory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD who is in year 4 has a lot of homework as well. She has Mathletics, 15 mins reading per night and has to record name of book and pages read, spelling, science or geography or history. Oh and a talk that needs to be prepared and learnt.

She is struggling big time with maths and we have to spend on extra maths activities 4 days per week (and Sunday evening, if I have time) which takes about 20mins or so.

She is exhausted, you can see it in her face.

My other DD who is in year 2 has a reader every night, 10 spelling words and associated activities and one talk per week. She also has mathletics but it is optional.

Last year was crazy for homework prior to NAPLAN. Next year I will put my foot down about it if either of my girls look to be not coping.

Yes I do think there is more pressure earlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    In prep S's gets

Nightly
    2 readers (10 mins)
    1 big book (3 to 6 mins)
    1 tomorrow book (10 mins)
    1 math game (5 to 10 mins)
    10 to 20 sight words (3 to 5 mins)

Weekly
    1 writing sheet.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it can vary from school to school. My oldest is in year 3 and she gets a homework sheet that takes 15 -20 minutes to complete, she gets it on a Tues and has to take it to school on the Mon. Her teacher has said he does not care if it doesn't get done.
    I know other schools in the area who 'pride themselves on their academic excellence' who start giving out 30 minutes of homework each night from kindergarten. The way I see it is that homework doesn't have to be a 'sit down and answer question after question, or read boring home readers type of thing.' My kids love family spelling bee championships(younger ones have to tell us what letter a word starts with), my kids ask me to give them a maths problem for them to figure out (for fun, they're a bit weird like that!), and the oldest has pen pals and diaries so she gets writing practice that way, and she is allowed to read until 8pm every night, with a 7pm 'bedtime.' She hated reading with a passion when we were doing home readers and she was falling behind. I asked her teacher what to do and she told me to stop the readers and read fun books with her, so I did. She is in a 3/4 composite class, in year 3, and is one of the best readers in her whole class.
    I think she will get one project to do this year, and her teacher said he hates show and tell so they don't do it. For my second child, they get a weekly topic list for show and tell but it will be things like 'who am I? Give the class three facts about an animal for them to try and guess what animal you're talking about' or 'tell the class if you do a sport/activity after school.' The biggest we'll get is where they have to draw a picture of their favourite place. No big projects to complete.
    Honestly, if we were at a school with tons of homework I would be telling the teacher that we didn't believe in it so wouldn't be doing it. There's several studies that show that homework isn't beneficial before year 5 so no way would I be spending an hour each night doing homework.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (06-05-2014)