+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Primary school stress

Is it just me or is primary school a lot more stressful/higher pressure than it used to be?

I remember it being fun, very little homework until grade 7, lots of running around the playground, relaxed atmosphere etc.

Now there's homework from prep, show n tell is more of a polished presentation than the old bring in 'something you love' it used to be. There's naplan next week, and a spellathon with 300 words this week. We've got forms home about ICAS competitions this term as well. And there's homework and presentations aplenty. Homework's 45-60mins a day. And we're only up to grade three. I'm exhausted keeping up with all of it and I'm an adult - it just seems all too intense for 8 year olds.

I want to be clear - this is not a rant against teachers. Most of the teachers I know at DDs school don't agree with everything that needs doing, but say it's the curriculum these days, and the school leadership's emphasis on NAPLAN that's driving a lot of it. Plus other pressures filtering down. DDs teacher is fantastic, but forced to follow the school's policies obviously.

I've hardly mentioned NAPLAN to DD. Its not a big deal to us at all, but apparently they've done repeated drilling for it at school, weekly practice tests, this weeks mammoth spellathon with words off the grade 6 list. One teacher even said they don't do anything except NAPLAN until the test is over and then they start on the rest of the curriculum. It doesn't make for fun and interesting schooling and I'm rather over all the spelling tests in particular.

Maybe I was just lucky as a kid, but my memories of school are nothing like this. Are other schools like this or do we just have an over the top one? I'm looking at changing schools even though this one has the best reputation in the area because it just seems too much of a high pressure environment. I worry she'll be burnt out by high school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ds rarely gets homework and he is in year 7 . I couldn't handle a stressful environment for my child, I firmly believe once the school day is over it's time for a rest. That's just me though.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (06-05-2014),CSCA  (06-05-2014),GlitterFarts  (30-07-2014),Goosey01  (06-05-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (31-07-2014),Star Light  (30-07-2014)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    your grade 3 gets 45 minutes of homework a night

DD is grade 3 and she gets about 10-15 minutes a night (plus whatever reading she feels like). She has a week to do the homework, so is easily scheduled around after school activities.

Naplan - they have only just introduced the practice tests this week, and its not a focus for the school. just info on how to answer the questions etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    Ds rarely gets homework and he is in year 7 . I couldn't handle a stressful environment for my child, I firmly believe once the school day is over it's time for a rest. That's just me though.
    both of my school aged ds' (now yr 6 & 2) rarely grt homework apart from reading.
    for the last 2 yrs we have gone and spoken to ds1's teachers as he wasnt bringing any homework home or would say no he had none so thought wed check. luckily enough for him his teachers dont agree with kids doing homework all the time as a full day at school is enough already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The homework is ridiculous and causes a lot of stress in the evenings. I have grown to loathe it. 10mins maths, 10mins reading eggs, 20-40mins spelling, 30mins reading a book. That's 5nights a week. Doesn't seem like much but it adds up and becomes onerous. The reading a book I'm okay with, but we all hate the spelling. The kids are bringing home words off the grades 5-6 lists. Why rush into upper primary spelling?
    Last edited by MissMuppet; 06-05-2014 at 20:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's far too much home work. Which state are you in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd in year 3, gets approximately an hour homework Monday to Thursday. It makes it extremely hard with after school sports and commitments etc. This term it is 20 minutes spelling, 10 minutes maths, 20 minutes persuasive text writing. Then she is supposed to do a 1000 points on mathletics each day plus a reader. Sometimes we just can't do it all.

Her show and tell is always themed. They are to do a presentation that includes powerpoint etc. It's a project really.

Dd1 is in year 5. She only has 1/2 hour or so of homework each day, usually maths sheets that are due the following week etc, and 2 projects a term a written up on class calendar.

It's insane how much work they get. I didn't do that much study a day for a uni degree!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here are the homework guidelines for Victoria, will generally not exceed 30 minutes and this in inclusive of reading...

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/scho...uidelines.aspx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Crazy amounts for such young kids!

I teach K-2 and I've always said to parents if the homework is causing stress or you can't fit it in don't bother. It just isn't worth the hassle. I tell them to make sure their child has read to them and share a story at bed time. Why can't we let kids be kids?!?

As for the NAPLAN prep I hate the pressure that is put on such young shoulders. A big fat f@ck you to the wonderful MySchool website for massively increasing the pressure on schools and young children to perform. So wrong

Me + DH = DS1 (6), DS2 (2) and #3 due September 8th

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (06-05-2014),babyla  (06-05-2014),BettyW  (07-05-2014),smallpotatoes  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're in Qld, at a state school.

Mandismum, that sounds very similar to our situation! It seems crazy.