+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Doing it tough! He seemed to get better but this past week has been horrible. . Sleeps 4-6 hours the first part of the night but then up every 1-3 hours after that. Torture! He seems to be genuinely hungry as well, having both breasts every time. Sometimes I can resettle him but it only gets me an extra 30-60 minutes before he definitely wants to be fed.

I can tell so much is going on with him, the past week he has started doing so many new things, really turning into a rolly poley baby rather than just a newborn now. And if you watch him sleep his little body is going nuts, he sleeps in a love to dream Swaddle and his little arms go nuts and his body is jerking around. He's also yelling out in his sleep and chatting. His brain must be going a mile a minute!

I'm struggling. I am high risk for PND because I have a history of depression and we also lost our daughter when I was pregnant in 2012. Sleep deprivation is one of my biggest triggers and I can feel myself sliding a bit. I'm struggling with whether I should keep breast feeding. If it would be easier to stop, if I would get more sleep (and if he would as well if we switched to formula), if I should go on meds and stop breastfeeding, etc.

I'm feeling a bit hopeless lately and don't know what to do...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Oh hun, get to your GP and talk through the medication options and discuss breastfeeding. Formula may not necessarily make him sleep longer, so don't let that be the deciding factor.

He's 4 months now, so have you considered starting solids? That can help. Hes obviously sleeping through his awakenings if you get a 6 hour stretch out of him so hunger does seem the likely cause.

When he does wake that first time, how long dies he cry for before you go to him?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Doing it tough! He seemed to get better but this past week has been horrible. . Sleeps 4-6 hours the first part of the night but then up every 1-3 hours after that. Torture! He seems to be genuinely hungry as well, having both breasts every time. Sometimes I can resettle him but it only gets me an extra 30-60 minutes before he definitely wants to be fed.

I can tell so much is going on with him, the past week he has started doing so many new things, really turning into a rolly poley baby rather than just a newborn now. And if you watch him sleep his little body is going nuts, he sleeps in a love to dream Swaddle and his little arms go nuts and his body is jerking around. He's also yelling out in his sleep and chatting. His brain must be going a mile a minute!

I'm struggling. I am high risk for PND because I have a history of depression and we also lost our daughter when I was pregnant in 2012. Sleep deprivation is one of my biggest triggers and I can feel myself sliding a bit. I'm struggling with whether I should keep breast feeding. If it would be easier to stop, if I would get more sleep (and if he would as well if we switched to formula), if I should go on meds and stop breastfeeding, etc.

I'm feeling a bit hopeless lately and don't know what to do...
    I'm so sorry to hear that. I would get to the docs too as pp suggested. I'm also at high risk of PND. Considering I had it with dd, I can speak from experience when I say sleep for you is soooo important right now. Particularly if you can feel yourself sliding. I agree with pp about formula, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll sleep longer. How does he sleep through the day? I'm no expert but the first thing that came to mind was a settling thing. Or a digestive thing. But if you get to the GP you can tackle his issues if they are a medical issue and also your fears of PND. Don't let it go, it's harder to come back! Til then get sunshine, fresh air and don't be hard on yourself...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvmyfam For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can't help you there, my little one never had a regression... he's just never slept. Hahaha.
    1-3 hourly wake ups still in our house at 12 months old. We just gotta ride it out! It will get better eventually

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Going to make an appointment with my psych to discuss meds and to just talk, my OB had me meet with one that specialized in antenatal/postnatal care before he was born. I'm in London and not really interested in just going to the GP, they're impossible to get into but have also prescribed me meds over the phone without assessing me before so I'd rather just pay the money for some more thorough care. Overall I'm not too keen on going on meds while breastfeeding, I know there are a couple they say are safe but I feel the case studies are really small so don't make me feel too reassured that there are no long terms effects. I've always had trouble sleeping due to anxiety, so sometimes DS is only half the problem. The meds I was on until 2012 really helped me sleep, and nap, since going off them I have completely lost the ability to nap! They're kinda in the middle range for safety and breastfeeding and I'd probably prefer to go on them again if I do go on anything as I know they work for me, and for me, have little side effects.

As far as him. I don't let him cry right now, I think he's too young but can also tell when he's hungry and not just waking. He doesn't actually cry, he more yells when he's hungry. I wait to make sure he's actually waking and not just doing it in his sleep and then I get him. He's also not fussy, just literally eating and going back to sleep. He's harder to settle if he's actually crying. I don't think there's anything wrong, I think it's a developmental phase that I need to ride out, unfortunately for me it's just hard because of my own contributing factors. I choose to read The Wonder Weeks, Baby Bliss, The Sleep Site and ask Moxie which all say waking right now is normal (baby bliss says 1-2 wakings to eat, the rest say 2-3 for a purely breastfed baby which is what he's doing), so I think he's normal, I just am not really coping with it and need to learn how to. They also say a longer stint of sleeping in the first part of the night and then needing to be fed a couple times after is normal and a permanent change in a baby's sleeping patterns is happening right now so waking is normal. I am not planning on starting solids until six months. I'm trying to make it to at least six months breastfeeding and then hoping it will get a little easier with solids and also just with him being older and naturally sleeping longer.

I don't necessarily think formula would be the cure all and he'd sleep better (although I'd love it to!) it's that right now I'm struggling with the relentlessness of breastfeeding.

This all said, last night he didn't wake until 1am (bed at 6.30, woke at 7.30 and had a quick top-up) and then didn't wake until 5am (quick drink) and then 7! A couple things were different last night. One: he slept in just his sleeping bag and not his love to dream Swaddle because I felt it was too warm for both. Two: he had about 40mls of ebm before bath because I had some that needed to be drunk and then both breasts after bath rather than one breast, bath, second breast and check to see if he wants first breast again. And then the top up at 7.30 (but he does that sometimes anyways). Don't know if it was just a coincidence but may try that again tonight!

Thanks girl!
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 19-05-2014 at 17:38.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (19-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    So glad bub gave you a break and slept a little better last night! I think 'tanking' bub up may have helped. At 4 months my first used to have a massive dreamfeed bottle of expressed milk at 10pm (220mls) and he would sleep through. I used to express after the morning feed to make the most of the morning milk.

Regarding solids don't feel like you will be failing bub if you start before 6 months. Current medical recommendation where I live is to start somewhere between 4-6 months depending on hubs readiness signs (lost tongue thrust, watch you eat, can sit up etc). If bub is ready before 6 months then there's not much you can do: bub is the boss!

Also don't feel like you will be failing if you want to have a break and give bub formula. A happy mum is a better mum than a stressed one. Also, it's not all or nothing: you could comp feed (eg formula at bed time, breast all other times).

I hope you find a good psych over there.

Xx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks VP! I'll look into solids earlier but over here and the WHO say 6 months. I think around Melbourne it was more 6 months as well? At least around where I worked... He can't sit up unaided yet. He's also still not quite 4 months (14 weeks).

I've tried a dream feed a couple times and it's encouraged him to wake more frequently and before this sleep regression he was just starting to get back on track from the last time I tried so I'm not keen to try again. This past week he's been waking around 10 or 11 to eat anyways...he seems to do better when he doesn't wake around then.

I have tried 'tanking up' before but he just hasn't been interested in cluster feeding. But maybe just that small bottle to tide him over to bath so he then has two full breasts before bed is just enough so I'll definitely try that again!

I also wonder if he's been hot or wanted his hands. He sucks is hands through the love to dream which is why I kept using it, he still needed to be swaddled but wanted his hands as well, but maybe this past week he's progressed to no longer needing the comfort of the swaddle and having full access to his hands helps as well. We'll see!!!! I do feel a bit better today--amazing what a 3-4 hour block of sleep will do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just a quick example of some of the growing he did last week. Those pants were loose the previous week, cutting off circulation last week! ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1400492954.301655.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Just a quick example of some of the growing he did last week. Those pants were loose the previous week, cutting off circulation last week! Attachment 54826
    Geee! Healthy bub there! Sometimes when my bub does a wee or poo on the change table instead of getting. Frustrated I tell him that weeing and pooing is his job right now and he's doing fantastically! I know your little one is keeping you up at night but growing is his job and he is doing awesome

14. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    10, 3.30 & 7.15!!! I repeat. 10, 3.30 & 7.15!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Luvmyfam  (21-05-2014)