+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Help me survive the 4 month sleep regression :(

Just when he started doing a long stint at night and only waking once or twice the past week has been like he's a newborn and I feel like death .

Any tips to help me survive or just let me know it's passes?????

So far my intention is to just keep following the 'routine' we've been doing that had been working and hope it passes with no negative sleep associations I have to break later, this is the advice I read on 'the sleep site.'

I loosely follow an eat, play, sleep which the past couple weeks has gradually landed on specific times on it's own. Up around 6.30/7 and he last about 60-90 minutes up. Nap usually until 10. Then down again around 11.30-12. Up around 2. Down around 3.30-4. Up around 4.30-5. Then play until bedtime routine and asleep around 6.30-7. I follow his sleep cues.

He was doing about a 6 hour stint the first part of the night and then wake around 12 or 1 and maybe 4 and 6.30.

But now he's waking around 10 or 11 and then ever 1 1/2-2 hours after

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Bummer

Could bub be ready for some solids? Could adjusting the day naps help? Increasing the time between naps? Eg make that morning nap at 9am?

If bub is having a late arvo nap could it be time to cut it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry to break it to you but nothing works - you just have to ride it out and remember 'this too shall pass'.

Stick to you routine and good habits and it will eventually improve - took us five weeks.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cakeish For This Useful Post:

BeeSam  (06-05-2014),HollyGolightly81  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, definitely keep the three day sleeps, they need them at this stage, and less daytime sleeping won't automatically mean more nighttime sleeps. I would even bring all sleeps forward an hour so that nighttime bedtime was closer to 5.30-6 instead of 6.30-7pm.

Sleep breeds sleep in babies that young, and waiting for tired cues might be leaving it too late, equalling unsettledness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    He's only 12 weeks (the regression can happen from 3-5 months) so definitely not ready for solids (and I don't plan on them until closer to six months).

I think he's probably too young to cut the afternoon nap as well. I could try to keep him up longer in the morning but he seems genuinely tired after 60 mins and definitely after 90. I'll think about that one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cakeish View Post
    Also, definitely keep the three day sleeps, they need them at this stage, and less daytime sleeping won't automatically mean more nighttime sleeps.
    Yes this is generally my belief, sleep promotes sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cakeish View Post
    Also, definitely keep the three day sleeps, they need them at this stage, and less daytime sleeping won't automatically mean more nighttime sleeps. I would even bring all sleeps forward an hour so that nighttime bedtime was closer to 5.30-6 instead of 6.30-7pm.

Sleep breeds sleep in babies that young, and waiting for tired cues might be leaving it too late, equalling unsettledness.
    Sometimes he does go down around 6, I follow his cues before he gets too tired and unsettled. First yawn, etc. 6.30 is pretty standard, 7 is wishful thinking and me trying to make myself sound better .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol DD 22 months is just going to bed now! My children will be in bed by 6.30pm until late primary school - it's how I was raised, and as DH works evenings, it's not like they need to wait up for him to come home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's also a wonder week, so I can hang onto that hope as well

Ps...he just went down for his morning sleep a little after 60 mins and was definitely overtired, requiring a dummy whereas normally he can get himself off to sleep with no fuss in the mornings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you're doing everything right and that you're aware of all the influencing factors. Just keep doing what you're doing and be reassured it will soon pass. I remember the pain like it was yesterday, and am only 12ish weeks off it again myself as b2 is due any minute!