+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Kinder next year...

Dd will be 3 turning 4 early feb next year. She is enrolled to start kinder 2015.
    I have recently found out there *could* be kids starting kinder a whole year OLDER than her Does this mean she's going to be behinds ñ any areas of development? Dd and I are born on the same date....I began kinder as a 3yr old for a week and it was quite ordinary 20 odd yes ago....

Should I be preparing dd for kinder with older kids?! I have been a Sahm with her but she has been going to crèche 1 day per week for about 18 mths. I've spoken to her carers about her going to kinder next year and they didn't see an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I thought kids started kinder at school 5 days a week, when they are 5 or nearly 5? My DS will be 5 in November and starts school on 1st January 2015 (kindy year) Hes currently 4 and attending pre school 2 days a week ( not compulsory ) this is NSW may be different in other states? Someone correct me if I'm wrong please!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What state are you in?
    My son start 4year old kindergarten next year in WA, kids need to turn 4 before June 30. It is 2 1/2 days per week.
    Over here your child would be in the middle of the pack by age as in my experience children are repeating pre-primary if they are behind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Different states call the years before school and the FYOS different things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wasn't planning on sending my ds until the year before prep. (I'm in qld.) I will be interested to see responses......
    Last edited by lovepink; 06-05-2014 at 16:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The cut off dates have changed since we were kids (at least in QLD). My dd was born in July 2011, making her the same age as your little one. However I think she'll be in the grade below because the cut off is June or something?
    I don't really understand why it changed. Kids will be left behind or too far ahead no matter when the cut off is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, dd has been attending a mixed age 'daycare'. The days she goes, are also their govt kindy days. So at 2 and 9 months, she knows all her colours, shapes and can count to 12. I would like her to go to school in the same year as the other kids born at the start of 2011. I know she'll be one of the youngest, but based on her abilities to date, I think she can cope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nudge88 View Post
    Also, dd has been attending a mixed age 'daycare'. The days she goes, are also their govt kindy days. So at 2 and 9 months, she knows all her colours, shapes and can count to 12. I would like her to go to school in the same year as the other kids born at the start of 2011. I know she'll be one of the youngest, but based on her abilities to date, I think she can cope.
    Im not worried about her abilities. I'm more worries about her adjust

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nudge88 View Post

Im im not really worried about what she can and can't do, ATM. Kids excell in their own areas if interest. I'm more talking about adjustment and the whole concept of her friends turning 6, she is only 4!
    Then again in school....she will be 17 at beginning of uni, like myself. But back then it wasn't an issue, I was not considered "young".
    I am in vic. Age cut off is April.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Muffet View Post
    Im im not really worried about what she can and can't do, ATM. Kids excell in their own areas if interest. I'm more talking about adjustment and the whole concept of her friends turning 6, she is only 4!
    Then again in school....she will be 17 at beginning of uni, like myself. But back then it wasn't an issue, I was not considered "young".
    I am in vic. Age cut off is April.
    I'm in vic as well. I have 4 children who will all be starting prep the year they turn 6.
    My third was 3 in Jan and is currently doing 3yr old kinder. Some of the kids are 10/11/12 months older than her.
    She will be held back next year. I don't see how it can be at all beneficial to send her with a whole year less of social and emotional maturity. I don't care about the academic stuff, but I know how tricky girls can be when the b!tchiness sets in.
    The trend in vic is showing that the majority of kids are now starting school closer to 5/6 not 4/5.