Hi, I'm looking for anyone who is willing and able to share their own experiences of a 2nd trimester medical termination. I live in SA so it would be great if anyone who lives there has some information but am happy to hear from anyone with info. I understand the D and E procedure but wondering if anyone else decided on a different method and how they handled which ever option they decided on.
That said a bit about me I guess.mim currently almost 14 weeks pregnant with a very unplanned baby no.4 , thanks to the expulsion of my mirena without me knowing until bam I discovered I was pregnant. My hubby and I were totally shocked as we had finished our family and have 3 beautiful children. However my husband and I are both CF carriers giving us a 1 in 4 or 25% chance of our baby inheriting the disease. We have been eternally lucky so far that none of our children have the disease. 2 are carriers like us but that is all. We went through our first pregnancy blissfully unaware of our risk and it was only in our 2nd pregnancy first trimester that we found out by pure chance and the devastating news from an interstate family member who had had a baby born with CF that we too were at risk.
Luckily I had been able to have a CVS performed at 11 weeks with my next 2 pregnancies and results have been back by the end of 1st trimester making the decision perhaps not so hard maybe? This time there was 3 failed attemps thanks to my retro inverted uterus and a low lying posterior placenta. Basically the worst combination possible and it was too dangerous and impossible to do, leaving me to know wait for an amino in 1 week time.
Ive never progressed ino a pregnancy this far before without knowing that all was ok! I'm absolutely freaking out about the fact that I have at least another 2 week wait for results. I'm praying to god that all will be ok but I need to be realistic and think through my options now before my mind is completely overwrought if the news is bad.
Im a pro choice believer but all of a sudden I'm doubting my ability to make that choice. My hubby does not want to proceed if the news is bad. We have researched CF and spoken to people about the disease but just couldn't bear the thought of what it could do to our child and the fact that it will die.
I think the thought of ending the pregnancy is actually not as bad as knowing what they do to end it. I don't seem to be ok with that and was wondering about