+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice and support for considering medical termination

Hi, I'm looking for anyone who is willing and able to share their own experiences of a 2nd trimester medical termination. I live in SA so it would be great if anyone who lives there has some information but am happy to hear from anyone with info. I understand the D and E procedure but wondering if anyone else decided on a different method and how they handled which ever option they decided on.

That said a bit about me I guess.mim currently almost 14 weeks pregnant with a very unplanned baby no.4 , thanks to the expulsion of my mirena without me knowing until bam I discovered I was pregnant. My hubby and I were totally shocked as we had finished our family and have 3 beautiful children. However my husband and I are both CF carriers giving us a 1 in 4 or 25% chance of our baby inheriting the disease. We have been eternally lucky so far that none of our children have the disease. 2 are carriers like us but that is all. We went through our first pregnancy blissfully unaware of our risk and it was only in our 2nd pregnancy first trimester that we found out by pure chance and the devastating news from an interstate family member who had had a baby born with CF that we too were at risk.

Luckily I had been able to have a CVS performed at 11 weeks with my next 2 pregnancies and results have been back by the end of 1st trimester making the decision perhaps not so hard maybe? This time there was 3 failed attemps thanks to my retro inverted uterus and a low lying posterior placenta. Basically the worst combination possible and it was too dangerous and impossible to do, leaving me to know wait for an amino in 1 week time.

Ive never progressed ino a pregnancy this far before without knowing that all was ok! I'm absolutely freaking out about the fact that I have at least another 2 week wait for results. I'm praying to god that all will be ok but I need to be realistic and think through my options now before my mind is completely overwrought if the news is bad.

Im a pro choice believer but all of a sudden I'm doubting my ability to make that choice. My hubby does not want to proceed if the news is bad. We have researched CF and spoken to people about the disease but just couldn't bear the thought of what it could do to our child and the fact that it will die.

I think the thought of ending the pregnancy is actually not as bad as knowing what they do to end it. I don't seem to be ok with that and was wondering about

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update for anyone who reads this from today and has any info or thoughts to share. I finally had my amino today at almost 15 weeks and now begin the very long process of waiting for results which could be another 10-12 days. The wait is going to be agonizing, and I don't know how I'll get through it. My poor hubby and kids. I've been a basket case for far too long now as it is and I think it will get worse before it gets better. How does anyone do this it's killing me. I felt bubs move 2 nights ago fr the first time. I was excited and at the same time gutted as distraught. It just became even so much more real. This is a real little person and I'm so not ok right now. I'm praying every second I get that after all our early dramas that we get good results in the end but it's soooo hard to remain positive after everything else. Would love to hear from anyone xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sorry op, I have no advice or experience. But my heart goes out to you and your family :-(

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Fx for good results! Great big hugs xxx such a hard choice, hopefully you dont need to make it.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (17-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So sorry to hear you are going through this OP. I have had a first tri termination for medical reasons, not the same as what you are going through though. Have you thought about looking for a counsellor or seeking a support group? This is a very tough thin that you guys are going through. I hope it all works out well for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Warm hugs I regret not asking more questions about the process, what happens to me and everything after. I was so numb to the process and the grief that I just took the medical professionals at their word and did as they suggested.

Thanks
    Reviews
    what an awful situation for you no personal experience with your situation sorry, just wanted to let you know you're not alone and all fingers and toes here are crossed for good news for you xoxo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hugs. We didn't find out until after 20 weeks with baby 1 that he was healthy and that we would continue the pregnancy. It's a terrible time when you are waiting for news. My best advice is to try and get into a genetic counselling service and ask all the questions you want. If you want more info about what options we were given PM me. It's not a nice process to read about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pro choice too and you have to make the decision that is right for yourself and your family if the results come back positive. In doing so, I would recommend looking into what living with CF is like first. Yes, your child would have a shortened life expectancy, but you may feel that the quality of life they will have will make up for it. Whatever decision you make, it will be right for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How awful for you, waiting must be the hardest thing. Sorry no experience either but can offer sympathy and support. What ever you decide I hope it comes with peace. Xx

Sent from my SM-N9007 using The Bub Hub mobile app