+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Setting up online fabric business

Hi everyone

I'm looking into setting up an online fabric store on etsy and was just wondering what I could do to set myself apart from my competitors? I'm just gathering supplier and price info at the moment so it's in the very early stages but I'd still like some ideas.

For the crafty people here, how do you buy fabric? Are you more into fat quarters, or like the option of buying by the metre? What would you consider too expensive a price?

Tia

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I buy by the metre/yard but I buy direct from Europe/USA as the price of fabric prices here in Aus (apart from if I buy them locally) are very expensive... evenf or the same thing.

Buying OS for me is cheaper even when paying more in shipping.

With Etsy, I will have to like a fair bit of fabrics from the one store before i'll buy so I can combine on shipping to make it worth it.

Looooots of stores have all the same fabrics over and over and very much follow the 'trending' fabrics. I personally, search for different.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bennos Mummy For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (08-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennos Mummy View Post
    I buy by the metre/yard but I buy direct from Europe/USA as the price of fabric prices here in Aus (apart from if I buy them locally) are very expensive... evenf or the same thing.

Buying OS for me is cheaper even when paying more in shipping.

With Etsy, I will have to like a fair bit of fabrics from the one store before i'll buy so I can combine on shipping to make it worth it.

Looooots of stores have all the same fabrics over and over and very much follow the 'trending' fabrics. I personally, search for different.
    What sites do you use if you don't mind me asking? I hate shopping at spotlight and the likes - it's way too expensive!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JesskaMay View Post
    What sites do you use if you don't mind me asking? I hate shopping at spotlight and the likes - it's way too expensive!
    I dont find Spotlight too expensive, I love their sales. They just dont have a big enough variety for me.
    I buy from quirky Etsy stores, Fabric.com and Hawthorne Threads.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I much prefer to buy by the yard/metre. I buy from Voodoo Rabbit as they have beautiful and different fabrics, not the same old stuff you get everywhere else. The fabrics they stock are a bit pricey, but they have fast service and also offer a pick up option. Otherwise I go to spotlight as they're fairly cheap and my local one has a good range.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (08-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I buy from the US too- mostly fabricworm and fatquartershop. I like having flexibility when buying lengths. Sometimes a FQ bundle will have only specific fabric from a range, so I'll end up buying half yards of all the fabrics I want and then end up with half of it leftover.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (08-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing to reply later

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had never thought to buy fabric online tbh. I usually wait until spotlight or Lincraft have a sale. Depending on what I am making is what I buy. I.e when Iake dribble bibs (bandana bibs) I tend to buy fat quarters anything else is usually by the meter.

Might look into online fabric though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wally90 For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (08-05-2014)