+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Choking

Dd is 17 months and has been feeding herself for AGESSS now. Never really been any issues.

But lately she seems to ve going through a stage where she puts as much as she can fit in her mouth and then ends up choking.

Its quite annoying to now take a step back and only give her a couple of tiny piece of food on her tray at a time.

What to do here?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Better to keep giving her only a few bits at a time even if you fell like you are taking a few steps back.

After ds2's little friend died after choking on a piece of carrot at 3yrs old I am even more cautious now even though ds2 who is 3 is quite capable. It's scared the hell out of me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD is 17 months too and the same. Just keep giving a few little pieces at a time. She only does it with certain foods too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Dang. Ok thanks xox

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Mr DS2 still does this at almost 4, totally get the frustration.

I found with DS1 though that it was a phase. We just went back to only giving him a few pieces for awhile, but the phase didnt last too long.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Jeez piggys! They act like its the first and last meal they've ever gotten. >_<

I had to feed her chopped cherry tomatos one by one tonight. >_< and she was having a tanty that i wouldnt give her more at one time! Well dont eat like an animal!!

P.s peanut apparently i was a choker when i was a kid right up until 5 mum had to cut my sandwhiches up into teeny tiny bits >_< i did grow out of it...

Well unless its cheesecake... Then im still trying to shove the whole thing in my gob

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Jeez piggys! They act like its the first and last meal they've ever gotten. >_<

I had to feed her chopped cherry tomatos one by one tonight. >_< and she was having a tanty that i wouldnt give her more at one time! Well dont eat like an animal!!

P.s peanut apparently i was a choker when i was a kid right up until 5 mum had to cut my sandwhiches up into teeny tiny bits >_< i did grow out of it...

Well unless its cheesecake... Then im still trying to shove the whole thing in my gob
    Bahahahaha! You know those cereal fruit bars? D shoves an entire one of those in his mouth - and then gags and vomits it back up and cries cos he wants another one...he was sent her as payback for the stress I put my parents through I am certain lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I thought this was a sensory thing? They are learning how much they can safely out in their mouths.
    This is what I was told when I queried it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There are 42 steps to learn to eat. So it is all apart of learning... But i just didnt know weather i should allow her to do it?

I'll bring it up with our occupational therapist and report back to everyone

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (06-05-2014),Lauzy  (06-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Clearly DS2 missed that lesson