+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yes, so that's why I said cars are not a good investment.

Best not to get into financial trouble then!

My brother has a '68 Pontiac and he has spent way more money on the stupid car than he will ever get back.
    Do you know how much a 68 Pontiac is worth? Maybe it's his passion and he sees it as somewhere worthy to spend his money.

I agree with Fleetwood on one point and that's "each to their own"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IvyRain For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (07-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyRain View Post
    Do you know how much a 68 Pontiac is worth? Maybe it's his passion and he sees it as somewhere worthy to spend his money.

I agree with Fleetwood on one point and that's "each to their own"
    I agree with this too. My DH has a series 2 Rx7 racecar. Its cost us a bucketload of money. We'll never get it back if for some reason he sold it (which honestly I never see happening) but he absolutely loves it and its his hobby (well one of many) so its worth it to me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Thanks - like I said I was fascinated. I wouldn't say the majority of people have those needs though. I don't see a lot of tractors being towed in the burbs.
    It was a real eye opener when I moved to the farm. This is our 75k baby, our next is going to be a 120k American import that is essentially a light truck driven on a car licence.

And someone asked about money if things go bad, essentially our whole life is waiting for things to go bad. I've got used to the fact now that we just have to take risks and hope for the best. If we didn't have a business need I would be driving a much cheaper car, without a loan.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (06-05-2014),OurLittleBlessing  (06-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Haven't read all the replies, but no car loan for me too. We're renting, and are now on one income, so we saved for a good safe second hand Honda civic. It's 2012, low km's and just a great car. Buying a new car doesn't appeal to me as there's so many good cars available that are just a couple of years old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Car loan here, I updated in January this year from a 2006 Toyota corolla which id had for four years (also on a loan) it was started to fall to bits, I wanted a larger car ready for our family so I got a 2011 nissan x trail mid model for $24k. My trade in paid off the rest of the loan so it was a straight swap. Mines on a 7 year loan at 172 a fortnight. I plan on driving it til it stops and then our kids will be older so I will go to a smaller car again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2b87 View Post
    Car loan here, I updated in January this year from a 2006 Toyota corolla which id had for four years (also on a loan) it was started to fall to bits, I wanted a larger car ready for our family so I got a 2011 nissan x trail mid model for $24k. My trade in paid off the rest of the loan so it was a straight swap. Mines on a 7 year loan at 172 a fortnight. I plan on driving it til it stops and then our kids will be older so I will go to a smaller car again.
    this isn't directed personally towards you, but I am wondering why a 6 year old car is "falling to bits". It seems to be a common theme in this thread.....

my my old car was 12 years old when I got it and 18 years old when I ended up getting my new car....... It was definitely at the end of its life by then!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    this isn't directed personally towards you, but I am wondering why a 6 year old car is "falling to bits". It seems to be a common theme in this thread.....

my my old car was 12 years old when I got it and 18 years old when I ended up getting my new car....... It was definitely at the end of its life by then!
    I do a huge amount of kms in my cars and did about 200,000 km in it, I'd also had a run in with a possum at Christmas time and it just wasn't worth fixing. My car before that was a vr commodore so it was ancient by the time I'd finished with it.
    Last edited by Mum2b87; 06-05-2014 at 16:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No car loans here. We use savings if we need a new car. We've never bought a brand new car. I always take my time looking for a good second hand version of what we want/need.

We currently have a 2007 xtrail and 2007 Navara (camping vehicle). Planning on hanging onto them for a good while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post

Alot of newer cars have inbuilt deficiencies so you're forced to go back to the dealer for repairs. My Stepdad runs his own mechanical workshop and he is getting fed up with the amount of new or near new cars that breakdown due to manufacturer inbuilt faults. Manufacturers have also become tricky with car computers and the fault codes can only be read by the car dealers.

In response to the OP, we don't have a car loan atm as I paid DH's off last year as the interest was just ridiculous (and seemed silly to only pay the minimum when I had the money to pay off in full). We will be looking to get a new car and loan as soon as our CC debt is paid off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No finance on my car and dh's is salary packaged. I am due for a new car (its only 5yrs old but is the longest I've ever owned a car before trading for a newbie!) but we are waiting until mid-late next year once we settle into a new finance groove with a 2nd bub.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app