+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elle92 View Post
    Did she get a shock yet ? That can't be right for a 50,000 loan?

I have a 20k loan 5years and pay 151.87 a fortnight
    Yeh she said it was 380 over 7 years though so longer term to get the payment down. . Crazy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    But cars do depreciate. You're never going to make a profit.
    Majority of cars depreciate. My brother bought a highly sought after car for $2k, 4 years later he sold it for over double that. In the meantime all he had done was park it in the shed and look at it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some cars do depreciate of course but collectables and vintage or sought after cars generally don't. My dh's Harley is an example as would be your brothers pride and joy. My dh has always had Harley's and always got more at the time of sale than what he purchased or spent on them hence he has always made a profit.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 08-05-2014 at 10:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It really does depend what car. A run of the mill every day common car like a commodore, falcon etc, no you're not going to make a profit and they do depreciate. But we bought an old car (1970s) a few years ago because cars are our thing and it's now worth $10k more than what we paid for it and we haven't changed a thing and use it regularly. The thing with old cars is that as time passes, they become rarer because they're obviously not making them anymore so there's only a limited amount of them in existence and as the years tick over, their numbers dwindle even further which makes the remaining cars more valuable because they're rare. But this has obviously derailed quite a bit from what the op was asking

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Some cars do depreciate of course but collectables and vintage or sought after cars generally don't. My dh's Harley is an example as would be your brothers pride and joy. My dh has always had Harley's and always got more at the time of sale than what he purchased or spent on them hence he has always made a profit.
    And that's exactly what BRV and I have said. You've said your hubby's current collectable Harley is being kept to hand onto your son. So that one isn't going to be sold - that one has been kept for sentimental reasons, not as a financial investment.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (08-05-2014),NancyBlackett  (08-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyRain View Post
    It really does depend what car. A run of the mill every day common car like a commodore, falcon etc, no you're not going to make a profit and they do depreciate. But we bought an old car (1970s) a few years ago because cars are our thing and it's now worth $10k more than what we paid for it and we haven't changed a thing and use it regularly. The thing with old cars is that as time passes, they become rarer because they're obviously not making them anymore so there's only a limited amount of them in existence and as the years tick over, their numbers dwindle even further which makes the remaining cars more valuable because they're rare. But this has obviously derailed quite a bit from what the op was asking
    Yes, we have already said that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, we have already said that
    I was trying to share my personal experience with our cars, in particular our old car which has gained value after you said that cars *never* make a profit

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I got my car outright. I don't think I'd ever finance a car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyRain View Post
    I was trying to share my personal experience with our cars, in particular our old car which has gained value after you said that cars *never* make a profit
    I didn't say never. I don't think the op is talking about buying old cars and leaving them in the garage to make money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    And that's exactly what BRV and I have said. You've said your hubby's current collectable Harley is being kept to hand onto your son. So that one isn't going to be sold - that one has been kept for sentimental reasons, not as a financial investment.
    Yes that's the case with this one, it hasn't been the case with the ones he has bought and sold over the past 20 years.