+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We have 2 Danes and a kelpie.

The kelpie is an excellent dog, but I would highly recommend a Dane for a family.

I love our two to bits, they are placid and absolutely brilliant with our kids. We have chooks and the older one isn't even fazed by them (to the point I watched one of our chooks walk up to him and peck a bit of fluff off his nose haha)
    The girl is a bit more 'playful' with them, but she wasn't 'raised' with them like the boy, so they are still a bit of a novelty for her.

Our dogs aren't inside dogs, as we have 2 soon to be 3 kids under 3, so there is enough chaos inside with out adding 3 dogs. But I have seen MANY Danes that seem quite at home inside

They don't smell, even for 100% outside dogs.

The only thing I would suggest is teaching the dogs spacial awareness, and teaching your dd to 'stick up for herself'. My dd and ds know if the dogs get to much in their space to say 'out' to them, so the dogs know they are to close.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks guys! I've been researching greyhounds and they seem to fit the bill. Going to call a few greyhound re-homing agencies around Brissy and the Sunny Coast to talk to them further and maybe do some visits with DD. Fingers crossed in a few months we'll have the perfect addition for our family.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nudge88 For This Useful Post:

Calstar  (07-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kezty View Post
    We have 2 Danes and a kelpie.

The kelpie is an excellent dog, but I would highly recommend a Dane for a family.

I love our two to bits, they are placid and absolutely brilliant with our kids. We have chooks and the older one isn't even fazed by them (to the point I watched one of our chooks walk up to him and peck a bit of fluff off his nose haha)
    The girl is a bit more 'playful' with them, but she wasn't 'raised' with them like the boy, so they are still a bit of a novelty for her.

Our dogs aren't inside dogs, as we have 2 soon to be 3 kids under 3, so there is enough chaos inside with out adding 3 dogs. But I have seen MANY Danes that seem quite at home inside

They don't smell, even for 100% outside dogs.

The only thing I would suggest is teaching the dogs spacial awareness, and teaching your dd to 'stick up for herself'. My dd and ds know if the dogs get to much in their space to say 'out' to them, so the dogs know they are to close.
    Do you have Great Danes? Or is there a smaller version?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great Danes. Our boy Nigel stands with his shoulders just below my hips at 3 yr and our girl Tilly is nearly bigger than him at 18m.
    She is German breeding though, so boofier head and will be bigger than him.

They are the sweetest natured dogs, not the smartest creatures on the planet, but absolutely perfect with our kids. Especially Nigel. Ds 5th word was NIGELLLLL! Yelled from our back step he loves him to pieces, they spend hours sitting in the sandpit together

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, been doing a heap of research on Great Danes. They seem awesome. Just a few questions if you don't mind?how much hair do they shed?
    Do they lie all over your furniture or are they happy to stay on a designated couch?
    Are they very drool-y?
    Are they agile? Will they jump over my 1.2-1.5m fences?
    How much food do they eat in a day?
    What do you feed them?
    Have you had any health issues with then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am no expert on Danes by any means but I am bringing my baby home in about a month (she is currently 4 weeks old). I have done a LOT of research and have made some pretty close friends with registered breeders. So here is what I do know. Yes Danes can have significant health issues, and whilst buying from a reputable breeder who health tests their breeding dogs, can help minimize the risk, it is never a given that your Dane will be problem free. They are prone to thyroid, heart, and hip issues and are susceptible to bloat. Yes they are big coach potatoes, but like any dog, they are trainable. Some are drooly,some aren't. They are HUGE dogs and I would recommend contacting a breeder and visiting so you can get feel of their sheer size.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I wasn't sure about the prevalence of health issues. I've been reading a lot about their health issues and wanted to get a feel for how common they actually are, rather than a huge list of what they are at risk for, like all the dog breed websites have.
    I'd be more inclined to get an adult dog, but would never get one without spending some serious time with it, to gauge dd and the dogs reactions to each other.
    If we get a dog, I don't want to end up rejoining it. I want the right dog for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love Great Danes so much and have always wanted to get one but I've heard they have shorter life spans due to their large size. Is it true they only live about 7 years? (I hope I not offending the previous poster who has two beautiful Great Danes). I have just lost too many dogs over the years, but I guess in life nothing is certain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our Danes (TOUCH WOOD!) have had no major health concerns.
    Other than growing pains with Nigel when he was a pup (trying to keep up with the kelpie :/)
    Yes they do have a shorter life span :/ which is prob the suckiest part of owning them.
    Nigel is a drooler, Tilly is not. It's very strange.
    They do shed hair, but it is very short and not a lot.
    My two spend most of the day in the sandpit getting covered in sand from my kids, but do like to run around like twits when we aren't outside. (I like them to be calm when we are outside, as they are so big.)

We go through 20kg bag of high fat dog food in 2-3 wks. But that's for all three dogs. Which costs us around $35.
    Many people put their Danes on very expensive diets with all sorts of things added and taken out.
    We feed ours a working dog mix with 17%fat plus we add 1kg of meat meal from the produce. Plus bones and off cuts from hubby who's a butcher. And we have never had any kind if digestive issues.

We have a 1.2 fence out the front that Tilly loves to stand with her front feet on and bark at strangers from (small town, doesn't happen often) and Nigel has never ever attempted to jump it. (Unlike the kelpie :/)
    Both Danes will stand with their front feet on the back of the ute and expect you to lift them if they come for a drive.

Ummmm... I think that's all

These are my experiences with my Danes. One from a reputable breeder (Tilly) and one rescued (Nigel).

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ketzy! That's great info and interesting about the drooling. Some websites said they were huge droolers, other websites didn't mention it.

I was thinking I'd get a rescue dog and ask for one that doesn't drool. Haha