+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not a first time dog owner, in the past I've had a red cattle dog and a maremma. I absolutely love maremma's, and I was set on getting one because they tick most of my boxes. The only issue is I could never have one inside because my house would end up covered in a carpet of white fur.
    I thought I wanted a lazy dog, but for the last two months (and probably the next six months) we've been looking after my brothers dog, which is a kelpie/border collie cross. She's very high energy and dd and I just love her. But again, not an inside dog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why do you want an inside dog? Just a question, not a criticism

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think an inside dog would become part of the family more than an outside dog, if you know what I mean. I'm a single parent and dd is an only child, a situation I can't see changing anytime soon, so I guess I'm hoping an inside/companion dog will be a 'pseudo sibling'. Lol

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nudge88 For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (04-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How about a greyhound? We have 1 and she's the most lovely natured dog. They don't drop much hair as they have a thinner than normal coat, and are great as inside dogs as they don't need much exercise, being built for speed not endurance. Check our your local greyhound adoption program.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hadesgirl For This Useful Post:

haveheart  (04-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we got our dog we just looked at local rescue sites and checked out their personalities until the right dog for us came up. Our dog is everything I didn't want (male, he was a puppy when we got him, doesn't resemble any breed I had in my mind that would suit our family) but he is perfect and we knew that from the description of his personality. Has enough energy to need some exercise every day -anything from a 15 minute game of fetch to a 2 hour run at the beach/park - but lazy enough that he comes inside and sleeps on his bed for 12 hours without moving every night. He is 2 years old now and still eats things left in the yard etc. but he is slowing down. I think one more year and all his silly puppy ways will be behind us. The only thing I don't like is that he is very short haired but his fur drops everywhere. He isn't allowed to walk through the house but he'll stand up and shake and you just see a cloud of fur leave his body. I clean my floors twice a day, sometimes three times. Next dog I have will be a god that requires clipping so I don't have to deal with dog fur day in and day out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a bull mastiff. He's a large dog but he is allowed to wander in and out as he pleases. If he's inside when we go to bed then that's where he stays. Mastiffs are very gentle giants, great with kids anr love to be close to people. They are not high energy and don't require a lot of exercise but are social and love walks. Our boy is quite happy to be left home during the day and I love the response I get everyday when I walk in the door from work.

Definately go for a slightly older puppy that already has some sort of training if you won't be home every day in the beginning.

If you Google The Underdog dog rescue they have some lovely Staffy and Mastiffs looking to be homed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hadesgirl View Post
    How about a greyhound? We have 1 and she's the most lovely natured dog. They don't drop much hair as they have a thinner than normal coat, and are great as inside dogs as they don't need much exercise, being built for speed not endurance. Check our your local greyhound adoption program.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    This!

We recently adopted a greyhound and she is perfect. We also have chickens, cats and small children. She is well behaved and very affectionate.

She is passed out asleep on her inside cushion as I type this We went out and met quite a few until we found one that suited our requirements.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister has a bull Arab, she ticks all your boxes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Weimeraners and vizslas have nice smooth coats and love the water. But do they like chickens? I think they're hunting dogs. They might not like being alone for long days too. Could you get 2 dogs so they're not lonely?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had 2 weims and neither had/have major separation anxiety and have been fine left while we're in work but it can be a common issue in the breed. Definitely need plenty of exercise and quite a high prey drive so probably a risk with chickens. Their short coat is brilliant though as no mess (a blessing after owning a German shepherd!). I love the breed but they are very needy and quite challenging.