+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    It sounds like the school might need to take a more proactive role and get a teacher out there to be 'traffic controller' at those times to ensure the kids are all safe if the parents aren't able to think about their child's safety themselves.
    The school I work at has several teachers on duty in the carpark including an assistant principal and he has been abused and sworn at by parents on several occasions when asking them to do the right thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyW View Post
    The school I work at has several teachers on duty in the carpark including an assistant principal and he has been abused and sworn at by parents on several occasions when asking them to do the right thing.
    Wow, totally disrespectful! This is when number plates should be taken and reported to the police.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't even have a school aged child yet but reading this thread with interest. One thing I always whinge about is drivers in car parks in general, too fast, very dsngerous, entitled a-holes... The list goes on lol.

At DS's daycare there's a few of those wan.kers who block everyone else off so they can drop their kids right up the front. They always say 'sorrrrry, in a wicked rushhhh'. Like no-one else is?? Grrrr rude!

This is appalling! Shame on those people!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really? Wow. I still think Beancounter's school should be trying it though. At the end of the day abusive parents vs kids getting hit by cars is not a hard choice to make. Also perhaps the abusive parents could be banned from using the car park. Really, if grown adults are going to behave like children then they need to deal with the consequences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    Really? Wow. I still think Beancounter's school should be trying it though. At the end of the day abusive parents vs kids getting hit by cars is not a hard choice to make. Also perhaps the abusive parents could be banned from using the car park. Really, if grown adults are going to behave like children then they need to deal with the consequences.
    there are teachers at all the crossings. But it's a big school (1500) so teachers can't do the carpark. The bottom line is it's up to the PARENTS to drive/park sensibly and safely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Just checked the position in NSW. it's definitely interesting. But doesn't seem to be the case in any other state.

It's definitely a massive problem. Our school is only a few years old and the parking arrangements are useless. We have been very lucky and have had no accidents but I'm amazed. People park anywhere they can.

I like the previous post about penalising kids if then parents tell them to not follow the rules. I would love to see that.
    Yeh, I'm actually surprised people are even allowed to drive into the car parks in other states It must be absolute mayhem. I'd be scared. I would still definitely park near the school and go into the school grounds until the bell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yeh, I'm actually surprised people are even allowed to drive into the car parks in other states It must be absolute mayhem. I'd be scared. I would still definitely park near the school and go into the school grounds until the bell.
    I'm really surprised that schools don't have car parks for students. Growing up all the local schools had a separate car park for parents, our school in particular didn't have street parking that was suitable and we were right next to a major road. What do students that are old enough to drive do for parking when there isn't a car park provided?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I'm really surprised that schools don't have car parks for students. Growing up all the local schools had a separate car park for parents, our school in particular didn't have street parking that was suitable and we were right next to a major road. What do students that are old enough to drive do for parking when there isn't a car park provided?
    Well in nsw, any student who lives within a 2km radius can walk. If they are outside that radius, they get free bus pass so there's no need to drive.

When I was in high school and old enough to drive, I was lucky that there were sports fields across from the school so there was heaps of parking. Never was allowed in carpark.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well in nsw, any student who lives within a 2km radius can walk. If they are outside that radius, they get free bus pass so there's no need to drive.

When I was in high school and old enough to drive, I was lucky that there were sports fields across from the school so there was heaps of parking. Never was allowed in carpark.
    All students can get a bus pass? We only used to get them if your parents had a health care card (or some ruling like that). That is the best idea I've heard for a long time. So a student that lives more than 2k away isn't allowed to walk?
    Always amazes me how different things are between states.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    All students can get a bus pass? We only used to get them if your parents had a health care card (or some ruling like that). That is the best idea I've heard for a long time. So a student that lives more than 2k away isn't allowed to walk?
    Always amazes me how different things are between states.
    I'm sure they're allowed to walk, but the department is saying that there's no need to drive if they live that far because they get free transport.

http://www.curriculumsupport.educati...el/travel5.htm