+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beancounter View Post
    As above, police turn up regularly and everyone is "good" for the day - in fact people start flashing headlights as you come to the school to let you know they are there
    We have undercover parking officers too bit harder to identify.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

beancounter  (04-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    ?

It is a whs issue. The school should not be allowing it.
    we have parking for 100s of cars - it's a newish school with purpose built carpark. There is plenty of space for parents to park. This issue is not the carpark, it's the parents behaviour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    ? Our school car park is huge and is certainly for parent use.
    It is a whs issue. The school should not be allowing it.[/QUOTE]

Why? We have 3 car parks (1 exclusively teachers and 2 general use)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ? Our school car park is huge and is certainly for parent use.
    It is a whs issue. The school should not be allowing it.[/QUOTE]

Big issue for us is parents parking in staff car park - so frustrating and dangerous. They even park in the ambulance bay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are very lucky with our school. Close to 600 kids and 3 manned crossings, plenty of car spots along the street.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    There is clearly an issue when 3 kids have been hit by cars.

For this reason, we do not allow parents in the car park.

I'm also pretty sure that in nsw public schools, parents are not allowed to even drive into the car park.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have multiple pick up/drop off zones dedicated for groups of year levels (P-12 school)

For the most part they work well but we do have some stupid, selfish parents.

P-3 they have teachers in hi-vis vests on the crossings and they use walky talky things to communicate which car is approaching so the kid is ready to be assisted BY A TEACHER to get into the car. Most times this is a smooth process except some parents get out of their cars. They are warned by the teachers to get back in. Teachers will do up any buckles due to car seats etc.

4-6 they have zones on both sides of the road (just for the pick up zone not a Main Street road) and again there's a teacher manning the crossing. The good thing here is the primary principal is often wandering this area, chatting with cars BUT anyone who gets their child to run against the crossing or who is only in the line and not in the actual pick up spot, the principal gives the kid an automatic 'reflection' for that evening (basically a "I will not do that because...") and a reflection for the next day lunch (basically detention) should they listen to their parents and "not adhere to school policy".

This has stopped SO many kids doing the wrong thing because they don't want to have reflections which in turn causes the parents to do the right thing.

There's one really annoying mum who was banned from using the pick up zone because she didn't follow the rules (we also have designated parent car parks for year levels but the park:kid ratio is quite small). She's back this term and so far has done the right thing.

The 7-12 all share another zone and I don't have much personal experience here but it doesn't get a lot of press in the school paper/website/app so it must be generally ok.

We live too far from school to be able to walk. Most kids do. Public transport is a joke.

Primary students can participate in Walking Wheeling Wednesday (and SD does) where we drop them off at a local park to the teachers and as a group the walk to school that day.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I leave 5-10 min earlier than needed to make sure I get a park. Its not ideal but at least nothing silly happens. Parents drop kids off in bus zones all the time- obviously not concerned if their child gets hit by a bus!

I have an awesome idea for a pick up zone that would work for a school around the 3-400 student size.. If only I had access to technology to help create it- I could be a millionaire! (And bigger schools would use multiple systems- more $$ for me- genus, right?! )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

I'm also pretty sure that in nsw public schools, parents are not allowed to even drive into the car park.
    Just checked the position in NSW. it's definitely interesting. But doesn't seem to be the case in any other state.

It's definitely a massive problem. Our school is only a few years old and the parking arrangements are useless. We have been very lucky and have had no accidents but I'm amazed. People park anywhere they can.

I like the previous post about penalising kids if then parents tell them to not follow the rules. I would love to see that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Maybe it's a state by state thing? The school my DS went to in QLD had parking for parents, as did the schools I attended.
    Seems to be a different story down here though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app