+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default School car park

I have been dropping off and picking up at school for 10 years now. And the car park is just getting worse! Every day I am horrified at the number of parents who drop tiny kids in the middle of the road. They will even drive past empty parks and let their kids out on the road. Of course the car park is full of huge 4wds so the kids are only tyre height.

They also regularly park in the disabled parking -last week a disabled taxi had to wait for a Mum in a prada with no sticker to drop off her primary age kids so it could get a disabled park.

I know of 3 serious accidents where kids were hit by a car at my school - Im sure there are more. Why do parents do this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OMG, don't get me started on ignorant parents and drop off zones
    Last edited by ozeymumof5; 04-05-2014 at 11:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, that's awful. I know lots of kids get dropped off at my kids school and the parents just pull over and get their kids out...but out on to the footpath in front of the school gate, not just dropped in to the middle of the road to navigate through the cars themselves. It's a bit like an unofficial drop off zone (we don't have a car park or anything at our school, it's a small inner city school)
    Why isn't the school taking any action to correct this? A child got hit by a reversing car a couple of years ago at our school because the dad waited for him on the opposite side of the road. It was raining and the kid ran out behind the car, who couldn't see him. The school was on it straight away, telling kids in class that their parents must pick them up on the school side of the road, mentioning it the newsletter, and teaching the kids about road safety etc (the younger years anywhere...this was a kindergarten kid). If this is an every day occurrence I think the school needs to stop turning a blind eye to it.
    As for why the parents do it? I have no idea, they probably assume that all the other cars will look out for precious Johnny and he won't get hit.
    I think that school drop off and pick up times probably have the most accidents...parents rushing to get their kids, wanting to park as close to the school gate as possible etc. I am lucky we are close enough to school that we can ride there, so we avoid the whole thing that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's crazy isn't it?

Big 4wds are really dangerous in a setting like that. I really don't understand why so many people need them. Before anyone gets upset, I'm obviously not referring to people on the land etc.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (04-05-2014),Ellewood  (04-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and another thing... why does everyone need to drive? What happened to walking?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (04-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The school constantly has notices in the newsletter about the car park and once a month or so the police turn up and everyone behaves perfectly. And yes they drop kids on the road - it's the road inside the carpark. A lot of time they will stop at a crossing and let them out and then the kids go across the crossing. But why not park in a bloody park??? I'm often parked in as I can't reverse because cars use the road to drop off kids - another danger when cars are constantly backing out. It only takes a minute extra to park and it's much less stressful and you can give them a hug goodbye rather then them jumping out and running for their lives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a drop off zone...but the problem is the parent driving doesn't go all the way to the end of the drop off zone so the rest of the cars behind can also drop their kids off (the area has enough room for 8 cars)...instead they stop right at the beginning and take forever to say bye and go (some parents will even get out of the car and walk away!!!!). This causes a huge line of cars waiting, and the impatient/annoyed parents behind let their kids out in the middle of the car park instead of waiting.
    A drop off zone is just that....drop and go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    It's crazy isn't it?

Big 4wds are really dangerous in a setting like that. I really don't understand why so many people need them. Before anyone gets upset, I'm obviously not referring to people on the land etc.
    Id love one as I constantly travel a dirt road with huge pot holes I nearly break the axle when I hit - I don't mind if people have them, but it means you need to be extra careful when you drop your kids off. And people are not extra careful, they just throw the kids out of the car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    Oh, and another thing... why does everyone need to drive? What happened to walking?
    I'd love too but we live a bit too far and I have to be at work at 9.30 - when I have a day off I park a km from the school and we walk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Far out, what is wrong with these people Beancounter? That's ridiculous that they do that.
    Ourlittleblessing I wonder that too, about walking. Our school zone is tiny, almost everyone lives within easy walking distance but at least 50% of the parents drive there. The worst I see all the time is a mum who lives two small blocks away drives every day, and parks one block away to get a park...I really don't get it. By the time she walks to the car, loads the kids in and gets out at home they'd be home at the same time if they walked. Blows my mind. We only drive if it's torrential rain, or I need to be somewhere that requires the car straight after school. I hate taking the car...it's a pain!