+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    4 1/2. He just decided one day he didn't want them anymore. We had to walk behind him and hold the seat for support for a while but he picked it up really well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Both girls were off at 5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was 3 & a couple of months. He's a little daredevil tho lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My DS1 was 5.5 but only because we didnt try sooner and he got a new no training wheel bike for xmas.

DS2 is 2 months off turning 4 and he still cant ride a proper bike with training wheels. He cant pedal.

There is a 2yr old at my sons BMX club who rides without training wheels on the track and out of the gates. I sit there and stare in amazement every time he races.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS 4 & it took him one day. I think it's because of his balance bike taught him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 3.5 and we have taken his training wheels off. It only takes a day for them to get it. Worse case you put them back on and try again in a month.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Dd1 was 2.5 (with training wheels). She still uses training wheels as she doesnt ride a bike very often (she hasn't had ine since she was about 4 and is now almost 7).

Dd2 cant ride one. She has one with training wheels and a handle for the parent to push. She just cant get the hang of peddling. Again though she rarely gets the chance to ride it though.

me + he = dd1 (July 2007), dd2 (July 2010), dd3 (August 2012), dd4 (due May 2014) + sil (1997)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Training wheels are a misnomer IMHO.
    Better to use a balance bike, or just remove pedals and lower seat on a regular bike. By the time they are 5, I would not bother with training wheels at all, but for the littler ones, they let them practice pedaling and improve strength.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    He's been on a balance bike for a year and has been using the pedal one with training wheels for about 4 months - we tried with them off for his first time but he had no clue how to pedal yet ( and he had just turned 3 and the bike was a lot heavier and bigger than his balance bike) so we put the training wheels on, this is why DH thinks we should take them off as he is used to them now

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first child we took the training wheels off at 4.5 years. She was ready in terms of balance, but it took her another year to gain true confidence.
    Second child we used a balance bike, she got it for her third birthday and didn't pay much interest in it, but we left it in the house and encouraged her to sit on it and walk with it for 1 minute or so and she started to get the hang of it, and then started using it more and more. At 4 years and 1 month she mastered riding a push bike (never had training wheels).
    My third got the balance bike as well. At 3.5 years exactly, he was watching other kids ride pushbikes and said 'I can do that.' My husband put him on a pushbike, gave him a push start and off he went. The next day he was taking off and stopping all on his own. He is a tiny little thing and people always stopped and asked us how old he was at first, totally blown away that he could ride a bike with no training wheels (he only looked like a 2 year old). He is 4 now, and he rides on roads (quiet ones, with us, he has great road sense), can stand up while riding and can do 'skiddies' on his bike, which goes everywhere with us because he can ride for about 10km at a time (we do have light framed bikes...he couldn't do that on your typical K-Mart/Big W bikes, they weigh twice as much as his).
    With training wheels I was about 5 when they came off, my husband was 8, and a girl I know just learnt now, and she's 10. If you have a friend with a balance bike get your son on that for a week and then take the training wheels off. They have awesome balance and it makes learning so much easier.
    Last edited by Full House; 03-05-2014 at 22:49.