+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Reflux going un diagnosed.

Hiya,

Can permanent damage be caused to bubs if reflux goes untreated? My bub vomits, a lot. Sometimes he manages to keep it down, it doesn't seem to cause him pain. Although sometimes I think it bothers him. He sleeps good. He gags sometimes on the breast but I'm 99% sure that's because if my flow, it's pretty strong. I suspect he has a touch of reflux. I'm concerned if I leave it, it will cause permanent damage to his digestive tract. Any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just my experience but my DD2 had bad silent reflux, she used to scream almost constantly in pain. I was told (when it was finally diagnosed by a paediatrician) that left untreated it can cause damage. Unfortunately it wasn't diagnosed until she was over 6 months, despite numerous trips to the GP and hospital emergency. Eventually we ended up being referred to a private paediatrician. She was consequently put on medication to stop the silent reflux and was happier almost instantly. I now get comments about what a happy child she is. She's also a big eater, with apparently no long lasting effects.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My third son was a huge vomiter, although I'm pretty sure that was due to my oversupply and he being a total pig. He certainly has no lasting issues.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (04-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS had silent reflux that had caused some damage by the time it was diagnosed. We ended up tube feeding for a while until it healed. It also resulted in an oral aversion (bottles, food and pretty much anything going near his mouth) as he associated it with pain. Fast forward to now - his reflux is very mild and he eats like a horse!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My DS2 had silent reflux and it was so bad that it caused some blister type things to form in his throat. It wasn't long term though, once we treated the symptoms it improved and his throat was healed within 2 weeks.

DS1 had the reflux that includes a hell of a lot of vomiting (as well as the non stop screaming that comes with reflux) and he wasn't medicated until 6 months, he had no damage though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Vomiting on it's own is not usually an issue. It becomes an issue when there is pain involved, weight loss or aversion to feeding. Medicating for reflux doesn't stop the vomiting, it stops the pain associated with the vomiting.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jenga For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (04-05-2014),peanutmonkey  (03-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies! My gut tells me it's nothing too bad. He doesn't seem to be in constant pain and he doesn't scream for hours on end! I think sometimes the feeling of the stuff coming up bothers him and when that happens he whinges. Sometimes he'll start to cry at the beginning of a feed but after a burp he's happy to continue. Again I think this is my milk flow and he has to gulp to keep up. He burps and passes wind easily. My mother tells me if I had a reflux affected bub, I'd know all about it! And he wouldn't have 2 hour naps in the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenga View Post
    Vomiting on it's own is not usually an issue. It becomes an issue when there is pain involved, weight loss or aversion to feeding. Medicating for reflux doesn't stop the vomiting, it stops the pain associated with the vomiting.
    Actually in my DD's case the medication was to stop the vomiting, or rather regurgitation, as she rarely actually brought it up completely (unfortunately as this would have been better!)

She was also on medication to stop her body over producing acid, which is why the regurgitation becomes painful.

Both medications were to address the cause of pain, not simply the pain itself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Luvmyfam View Post
    Thanks for your replies! My gut tells me it's nothing too bad. He doesn't seem to be in constant pain and he doesn't scream for hours on end! I think sometimes the feeling of the stuff coming up bothers him and when that happens he whinges. Sometimes he'll start to cry at the beginning of a feed but after a burp he's happy to continue. Again I think this is my milk flow and he has to gulp to keep up. He burps and passes wind easily. My mother tells me if I had a reflux affected bub, I'd know all about it! And he wouldn't have 2 hour naps in the day.
    I think you're right, it doesn't sound like it's too bad! Your mother is also right, you'd know something was wrong if he really had severe reflux, or silent reflux. Two hour naps were unheard of for my DD until after the reflux was addressed.

Good luck, I hope your baby's reflux and your milk flow settles down :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, absolutely my DS2 had severe reflux (not silent) and vomited all the time, he ended up having an endoscopy and they found ulcers in his esophagus. Ulcers can rupture and cause death - luckily they caught it and treated him for it. But yes, long term reflux can cause damage.