+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Genetics - Prenatal Cgh microarray test results

Hi,

just wondering if anyone out there has had a prenatal microarray done? It's where they do a CVS and test all the chromosomes, not just for trisomies.

Anyway, I had one done at 12 weeks, on my choice. They called a week later and said that everything was fine, no abnormalities.

fast forward to last night (Friday) and I was at my Ob appointment (I'm now nearly 20 weeks) and he showed me the report which detected some sort of copy number variation (gain) on the 5th chromosome. Why the heck didnt they tell me? He said its probably of unknown significance. He had no idea what it meant and said he would ask a genetic counsellor next week. So in the meantime I'm panicking. Why does this have to happen on a Friday night??!
    has this happened to anyone else? What was the outcome?

thanks for your time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I recently had a cvs with the full microarray. Did they send you a copy of the report? The genetic counsellor sent me a copy of my report stating that all the chromosomes were in the right place.

Copy number variation? Does that mean extra data on the 5th chromosome?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CookingMonster For This Useful Post:

Porky  (03-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My advice is try not to panic and call the genetic department of your hospital yourself on Monday morning.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CookingMonster For This Useful Post:

Porky  (03-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As pp said try not to panic. I've been through a bit of genetic testing but not for cvs/pregnancy (my dd has a genetic syndrome). I've been told a lot that we often have some variations in our chromosomes and genetic material (deletions/mutations etc) and very often they are just that and don't have any significance.
    I'm sure if it was significant they would have told you.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Porky  (03-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies.

Yes they sent me a report a couple of weeks ago. I read it and the results said it was a balanced set of chromosomes. Then it said 'any copy number changes on reverse'. Seeing as there was nothing on the reverse side of the paper, I assumed it meant it was all ok, especially as I'd been given a call to say so. The 'Overall Impression' stated: Female fetus - no abnormalities detected. So here I was thinking it was all ok.

I called sUFW this morning but there was no one there. I just would have thought even if something wasn't quite right, they would have to make mention of it?

Ayway, will let you know how it goes on Monday, fingers crossed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The fact that everything is 'balanced' is a good thing. If something was 'unbalanced' then that would be a problem. I have a balanced chromosomal issue and I'm fine.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleDove For This Useful Post:

Porky  (03-05-2014)