+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I should add some schools can administer the WISC (welscher iq test) is very common. .. but doesn't hold much weight with assessment and funding support unless a qualified professional does it. ..eg. ed pysch.
    At least that's been some of my experience when I was teaching.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (03-05-2014)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks Tam. Good to know xox

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes like Tamtam said please make sure the person administering the WISC is qualified to do so, usually a psychologist with a Masters degree, otherwise it won't hold much clout. HTH. Let us know how you get on. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I should add some schools can administer the WISC (welscher iq test) is very common. .. but doesn't hold much weight with assessment and funding support unless a qualified professional does it. ..eg. ed pysch.
    At least that's been some of my experience when I was teaching.

The WISC is what's known as a restricted test so only a qualified psychologist is supposed to administer it for it to be valid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Boogaloo View Post
    The WISC is what's known as a restricted test so only a qualified psychologist is supposed to administer it for it to be valid.
    Yes. I've known some schools to do it internally for their own records. .. so that's what I meant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 had an IQ test done by his school's Guidance Officer towards the end of his Prep year (kindergarten year in NSW). DS1 at that stage had an ADHD diagnosis and since then we also have an ASD diagnosis so now he is part of the Special Ed Department and goes every morning to the SED for 2 hours and it taught with only three other children, it has made the world of difference.

For DS2 we paid to have an IQ test done for different reasons - from memory it was at least $600, could have been $660.

With DS1's diagnosis of ASD that gave the school funding. I am not sure if it is different between states.

I may have missed it when I was reading through this thread however what were you needing the IQ test for? Was the school asking for it prior to him commencing school? I would have thought his diagnosis would have been sufficient for them?
    Last edited by kimbo; 03-05-2014 at 21:37. Reason: spelling

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The school has 21 special needs students and only enough funding for 5 so they need an iq test to determine if he gets a portion of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ZE if they aren't going to fund him ask the school about the adjustments that they will make for him. Every school in NSW is required to make adjustments and provide an individual learning plan. You should be involved in these meetings and sign off on agreed adjustments.

Trust me... I taught 2 autistic boys last year and have another one this year

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (03-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    ZE if they aren't going to fund him ask the school about the adjustments that they will make for him. Every school in NSW is required to make adjustments and provide an individual learning plan. You should be involved in these meetings and sign off on agreed adjustments.

Trust me... I taught 2 autistic boys last year and have another one this year
    Could you elaborate on this? What are the adjustments and individual learning plans?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Adjustments are things we need to do in our classroom to accommodate our student with special needs. Depending on what the child needs we need to adjust our classroom environment to suit those needs.

For example, for my autistic boy he needs a visual timetable, pencil grip to assist with writing, a working towards chart to help him complete tasks, simple instructions and a designated area he can move to when feeling stressed or overwhelmed. He has huge sensory issues so spends a lot of time here.

An individual learning plan is a statement of goals that we have for him and the steps we will take to achieve them. At the moment they are simple, like learning to write his name. We specify how we will achieve this and it is a formal document agreed upon by all parties and signed. These are done once a term.

Hope all that makes sense!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (03-05-2014)