+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just did a quick google and it looks like a similar system to Vic.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Electric Boogaloo For This Useful Post:

cheekychook  (02-05-2014),Zombie_eyes  (02-05-2014)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks girls xox

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    DD2 had one done at a child psych. It took 2 sessions plus a report. The sessions were funded by Medicare to 50% as she has an acute anxiety condition. Th report wasn't covered by Medicare. All up our out of pocket was about $500.

If you get a private report done make sure before you go ahead you know that the school will accept it. Our school only accepts reports prepared by its own school psych so even though we went to the most reputable one we could find it's only of interest to her teacher not the school generally.

Good luck. The testing isn't too bad. Our psych turned it into a game for DD and she enjoyed it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes  (02-05-2014)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    my ds has autism and a language disorder so he should qualify for funding (by golly he will need it) so does this mean the school should do it?
    Is he in a state school? In SA we would have to put in a referral to the department requesting a test and providing reasons why, then just wait until the area psychologist is available. It can take a loooooong time, as there is, of course, high demand and low number of qualified professionals. Children are prioritized according to need.

In your case, with an already diagnosed condition, in SA he would be likely to be a fairly high priority therefore seen within a term. If there are severe behavioral issues where other students/staff are at risk then he would be fast tracked even more.

In other cases, I've waited over a year for students I've referred, and in many cases parents get sick of waiting and go private. HTH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    Is he in a state school? In SA we would have to put in a referral to the department requesting a test and providing reasons why, then just wait until the area psychologist is available. It can take a loooooong time, as there is, of course, high demand and low number of qualified professionals. Children are prioritized according to need.

In your case, with an already diagnosed condition, in SA he would be likely to be a fairly high priority therefore seen within a term. If there are severe behavioral issues where other students/staff are at risk then he would be fast tracked even more.

In other cases, I've waited over a year for students I've referred, and in many cases parents get sick of waiting and go private. HTH.
    That's what we were told too. So we went private only to then to told the school wouldn't formally accept the report of a private psych. Sooooo frustrating. But our principal is a PITA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    My DS had one done as part of his assessment when diagnosed with ASD.
    Did your DS have one then as well? Or was it just too long ago?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    That's what we were told too. So we went private only to then to told the school wouldn't formally accept the report of a private psych. Sooooo frustrating. But our principal is a PITA.
    Yep, that seems really unfair to me. From memory, and this may be wrong, but for certain 'conditions' we require two separate diagnoses if people go private/don't go through the department. Not sure why.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    My DS had one done as part of his assessment when diagnosed with ASD.
    Did your DS have one then as well? Or was it just too long ago?

He was dx at 2 so they didnt do one along with the assessment as they said he was just too young.

He is starting school next year but we hafto start transitioning in 4 weeks time, weekly visits and i need to get all assessments done Again (speech, OT, psych, and the IQ test plus a letter from paed)

All of that is gonna cost me a fortune, there is no funding left for me to use. So i cant really afford the IQ test on top of it all. So if the school want an IQ test they will need to do it!

Stressfullllllllll

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    He was dx at 2 so they didnt do one along with the assessment as they said he was just too young.

He is starting school next year but we hafto start transitioning in 4 weeks time, weekly visits and i need to get all assessments done Again (speech, OT, psych, and the IQ test plus a letter from paed)

All of that is gonna cost me a fortune, there is no funding left for me to use. So i cant really afford the IQ test on top of it all. So if the school want an IQ test they will need to do it!

Stressfullllllllll
    I'm going through similar because the general consensus is that my DS is grossly under diagnosed.

The last assessment was done with a psych and speech pathologist. It costs $1300 all up imcluding the report. I got a chunk of it back from medicare although was still expensive. So I wonder if your psych will do it as part of the assessment they carry out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep Ds#2 was grossly under diagnosed as well. Soooo many more problems have arisen so its good to get a clearer picture and more accurate dx. But all those formmmms and assessments and money. Boooo