+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tulip79 is offline There's only one beautiful child in the world and every mother has it.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Career with 3 or more kids?

Hi, keen to hear from working parents who have a career and 3 or more kids. How do you manage? What is your childcare situation? DH has his 5 day a week career, I have a 4 days a week career, and it's no surprise I don't know of anyone that does that with 3 or more kids. The time we spend with the kids is really good quality time, and we make every moment count, so we have a good balance right now (all preschool aged). With a 3rd child though, how do you do it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been wondering this myself!!! How do you do it?? I've have 3 children... 3 yr old twins & a 15 mth old. Just returned to part time work in allied health. I just feel so frazzled & have got a good routine yet. So glad you posted this.... I'm struggling to get a balance, & wondering if it's worth it. Subbing!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shirleysmum For This Useful Post:

tulip79  (04-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum worked full time with 4 kids, I think once the oldest 3 were all at school it was manageable. The older ones could make their own way home from school and she only needed to pick up the younger 2 after work.

Im making it sound easy, I'm sure she worked hard, but from a kid's perspective it was always a stress-free, happy upbringing!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

tulip79  (04-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm lucky I only work 36.25 hrs per week ( when I go back) we want at least 3, I'm starting to wonder if I should be looking at something different though ie own business so I can dictate hours

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a teacher with 2 kids. I work three days a week. I was considering a 3rd child, but honestly I don't know if I could manage with work being so full on at times.
    Dh also works for himself, so I'm also busy doing work for him too (BAS etc).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

tulip79  (04-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    my SIL has 3 kids and both parents have always worked full time. They have a really good routine with my brother (her husband).

They had a cleaner coming weekly or fortnightly. Every Saturday they go to the market and do a big veggies/fruits shop. Then they cook sauce and dishes in big batches that they freeze.

They also hired a carer from the childcare center to look after the kids once or twice per week after childcare. The carer would take them home and do bath and dinner. It would allow for the parents to work later or to go out for some relaxing time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

tulip79  (04-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll be doing it very soon 2 seemed fine so we'll see how we go with 3 😄

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 2cheekyC's For This Useful Post:

tulip79  (04-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I was the youngest of 4 and my mother always worked. Usually full time. It's one of my strongest memories as a child was her dedication to her career. She really fostered the belief for my sister and me that women could have kids and a career.

I have 4 kids (8, 5, 3 and nearly 9 months old) and have recently returned to work 2 days a week. I work as a legal consultant to a large company. My hours are very flexible so I can do drop offs and pick ups. My oldest 2 are at school, my third at preschool and my baby with a nanny. It's crazy busy and I work a lot outside of the usual working hours, but I love it. Sure there are times it's overwhelming with appointments and sport after school etc, but overall it works really well for us. I want my kids to know both men and women can work and share the load when it comes to raising a family (DH is a very hands on parent).

I'm not looking forward to managing sick days though once we hit the dead of winter but hopefully they happen on my days off. My son's preschool has a zero tolerance policy for sickness (as it should) so that will be a juggle I'm sure.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

tulip79  (04-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I managed to work part time with 1 & then 2 kids but havent worked since 3 came along as the financial gain would be too small once we paid for daycare x2 & oosh for the eldest.
    I have always done admin work so not the highest pay bracket.

Prob wont return to work till we have at least 2 of them in school which isnt till 2016

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

tulip79  (04-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a single mum with 3
    Kids and a job that is around 36 hours a week.
    I do shift work so it's a lot of juggling.

I have 2 kids in school and one in prep 5 days a week. I rely heavily on before and after school care.

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
    Dr. Seuss
    Still mummy to Agnes Ronald and Beryl.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Moltone For This Useful Post:

tulip79  (04-05-2014)