+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did when I was at home full time. I'll be on mat leave again in 5 weeks time and am very conscious of the isolation. I had PND after having DD so keeping myself busy and engaged with others is going to be part of my plan to keep myself mentally healthy.

Having small kids can make things really challenging as far as regular social interaction, depending on your circumstances.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the start yes but 10 months on no not at all. We have all sorts of activities and groups that keep us busy.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I find the first year or so quite isolating. So much revolves around baby's sleep time - for example I can't get to the morning or afternoon rhyme time because of DS's current nap time but once he drops to 1 nap I can do the morning.

I found it the same with DD, but as PP mentioned, now with a school aged child it's slightly better as no matter what, you get 2 opportunies a day for some social interaction.

I've just moved back close to family so my weekends are quite social but i need to work on my weekdays. I built up a social network from scratch over in WA so I know I can do it again, will just take some work!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    OP are you finding it tough? Just curious why you asked.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (02-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Certainly didn't find it hard being a SAHM. I'm a big walker anyway and an early riser, used to walk ds1 to school, have a coffee a few times a week with other mums, walk to the shop on the way home if I needed something. Play group for 2 hours twice a week, bit of housework and walk to pick ds up from school then get ready for the night routine. Guess I am lucky I've had pretty content kids who have always been happy going with the flow and ds2 loved his long walks, was content in the pram. I managed to study for a few months too when a SAHM. Just lucky I guess. And if I was having a rough day I found it therapeutic to go for a walk rather than sitting at home.
    Did you find it harder in the early days with your first child? I know I did but once I'd found a playgroup that was a fit for me and a few other mummy social opportunities it became a lot easier.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Certainly didn't find it hard being a SAHM. I'm a big walker anyway and an early riser, used to walk ds1 to school, have a coffee a few times a week with other mums, walk to the shop on the way home if I needed something. Play group for 2 hours twice a week, bit of housework and walk to pick ds up from school then get ready for the night routine. Guess I am lucky I've had pretty content kids who have always been happy going with the flow and ds2 loved his long walks, was content in the pram. I managed to study for a few months too when a SAHM. Just lucky I guess. And if I was having a rough day I found it therapeutic to go for a walk rather than sitting at home.
    Luck has to run out eventually and that's when things become ironic.

I get very lonely and frustrated being a sahm. I don't get the break away from the house on my own that dp gets every day and he just doesn't understand. No matter how much I try to explain it. He also doesn't understand how isolating it is to not have anyone close by babysit for a couple hours or to not be able to go to the toilet on my own without interruption.

My daily adult interaction is also bubhub or Facebook.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

ElleB  (02-05-2014),Mmumm  (02-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think the best thing to do is go out walking with the pram. A morning walk can make you feel great for the rest of the day. I sometimes put headphones in and listen to talk back radio.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes.
    PND made it really hard to "connect" with anyone and have proper friends as I have my good days and bad days. When I'm having bad days or weeks, I literally can't talk to people and often cancel plans because I was too anxious to see anyone and didn't want people to see me in such a state. I guess people eventually stopped trying (and so did I). I find it easier being on my own, but I do miss having a close friend. I haven't had one since I had ds.. It makes it harder moving to new areas every year or two as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not so much lonely as bored. If I was on my own I could do a hobby or do things I like that interest me and pass the time.

Instead, even though I love dd to bits, I find myself counting down until nap time and when DH comes home.

Btw I work part time so I can only imagine what you SAHMs go through, same with single mothers. Then I would be bored AND lonely too. Hats off to you!!!!
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 02-05-2014 at 15:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use to but now I venture out every single day and throw myself at people hehe not literally but I've opened up to making new friends and it honestly opened up so many doors. I now have a handful of great Mumma friends and I love it

I just miss the gym. That was my thing once upon a time.