+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bachelor of Early Childhood Education

I'm thinking of applying for the above through Swinburne online and was wondering if there is anyone out there that has/is doing this degree or is a early childhood educator that could shed some light on what it is like.

I'm interesting in knowing the job prospects for a new grad and also if you would still need a cert 111 in Childcare to wok in Childcare while studying this course to help gain some experience working with children?

My background is aged/disability care so this is another world to me but something I am interested in

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There are some conditions around qualifications on the ACECQA website. If you go to their site and look at qualifications, then the section on actively working towards you will find info on requirements.
    Basically once you start your ec degree you are equiv. to a cert3, once you are 30% through classed as a diploma, 50% through classed as an EC. That may change as people up skill but due to shortages they have that in place at the moment. Most areas have a pretty high demand for staff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks so much will check out the website

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub appw

Thanks
    Reviews
    bump for anyone else that is or has done this course

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi giggle. My sister is. I think the job prospects are definitely good! I would love to be an early childhood educator, I love children. I did consider it but ended up in a different line of study but still involving child welfare. I think if you genuinely like hanging out with little kids you can't go wrong with this course OP. My sister started out as an unqualified childcare worker, then after a few of years did her cert III and now her diploma. She loves it.

PS. Yes it's definitely worth doing your certIII first to get into the industry. You should be a shoe-in with your aged care background, they are more related than you may think. The certIII can be done in 6-12 months easily.
    Last edited by Ellewood; 12-05-2014 at 17:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi giggle, I have a cert 3 and diploma in children's studies and worked in early childhood education for about 5 years. In that time I went from trainee assistant all the way to 2IC Director - they are alway looking for switched on and commited people who are qualified and excited about the industry. Have been out of the industry about 3 years now.

Can I ask why you are thinking of doing the bachelor rather than just the diploma? Depending on what age groups you'd like to work with, you might find the diploma a lot more manageable short term, and you can always enroll in the bachelor later (you will get credit for the diploma study)...

Also, consider your expectations of the job. There is always work for committed, caring and qualified staff, but it's not all play dough and collage time. Not assuming you think that, but it seems there's a lot if people who don't realise that when they get into the industry. The pay rate and child to carer ratios, as well as the expectations from management with regard to paperwork can be pretty tough to accept if you're not prepared for it!

That said, I loved working with kids and wouldn't take back a day I only stopped working in it because we moved and I fell into a really good opportunity related to my ongoing study. Have also been seriously considering going back to it after bub is born!

Good luck with your decision xx
    Last edited by Tattereds; 12-05-2014 at 17:37.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tattereds For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (12-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tattereds View Post
    Hi giggle, I have a cert 3 and diploma in children's studies and worked in early childhood education for about 5 years. In that time I went from trainee assistant all the way to 2IC Director - they are alway looking for switched on and commited people who are qualified and excited about the industry. Have been out of the industry about 3 years now.

Can I ask why you are thinking of doing the bachelor rather than just the diploma? Depending on what age groups you'd like to work with, you might find the diploma a lot more manageable short term, and you can always enroll in the bachelor later (you will get credit for the diploma study)...

Also, consider your expectations of the job. There is always work for committed, caring and qualified staff, but it's not all play dough and collage time. Not assuming you think that, but it seems there's a lot if people who don't realise that when they get into the industry. The pay rate and child to carer ratios, as well as the expectations from management with regard to paperwork can be pretty tough to accept if you're not prepared for it!

That said, I loved working with kids and wouldn't take back a day I only stopped working in it because we moved and I fell into a really good opportunity related to my ongoing study. Have also been seriously considering going back to it after bub is born!

Good luck with your decision xx
    Thanks guys some good insight.

The main reasons that I would like to go straight to bachelor is that I already have a Cert III and cert IV so would not be eligible for funding for those courses and it looks like they are prereqsuites for the diploma. I'm also not wanting to stay at cert III/IV level, I want to take the step into university qualifications.

Will def look at gaining employment in early childhood education once I have done my first prac.

I guess in terms of the expectation I am a little prepared as it's the same sort of thing in aged care. Not so great ratios/pay and pressure to always do more in less time. I love hands on work with people so I take the bad with the good

Thanks again for your replies guys!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work in Childcare although currently only part time as my kids are still little. I have my cert 3 and am currently studying my diploma. I eventually would like to do the bachelor but want to wait until my eldest starts school. My diploma is a lot more flexible at this stage which is what I require personally.

In regards to job prospects it really depends on your area. I live in Sydney and the job prospects are good for all levels, but we want to move to the central coast next year and for diploma level there isn't much but for ECT the job prospects are a lot higher. Go on seek etc and do a Childcare job search for your area that will give you an idea of what the prospects are like. It is a challenging career but I love it. Atm part time is my only option for financial reasons but I can't wait to go back to full time after completing my diploma and getting back into it. Go for it OP! It's so worth it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggle View Post
    Thanks guys some good insight.

The main reasons that I would like to go straight to bachelor is that I already have a Cert III and cert IV so would not be eligible for funding for those courses and it looks like they are prereqsuites for the diploma. I'm also not wanting to stay at cert III/IV level, I want to take the step into university qualifications.
    The cert3 is no longer a prerequisite for the Diploma, a new Diploma training package has just been released and it is direct entry. You could also contact your local TAFE, the one in our area is offering a Bachelor degree with a step out point at Diploma if you wanted a break.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootenanny View Post
    The cert3 is no longer a prerequisite for the Diploma, a new Diploma training package has just been released and it is direct entry. You could also contact your local TAFE, the one in our area is offering a Bachelor degree with a step out point at Diploma if you wanted a break.
    Ohh thanks. Both my local TAFEs still have the cert IV as pre req for diploma on their website they must have not updated it yet. Will look into the diploma further if that is the case, thanks heaps