+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Perth Ob/hospital recommendations please!

My husband and I are in the process of TTC #2. Unfortunately I had quite a traumatic experience with my DS birth in that the anaesthetic did not work and I felt them performing the c-section until they had to put me under GA. so am quite anxious about different things...

I am wanting to find an obstetrician that is understanding and will listen to my concerns and work with me. I would like to also consider a VBAC if that is feasible. I really want a ob that I can trust with a good anaesthetic team!

I have PHI so going private is not a problem. Doesn't matter where in Perth, as I live in north west WA so will have to fly down for the birth anyway...

What are people's recommendations?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went with Michael Gannon at St John of God Subi - would definitely recommend. He's head of the dept there, knows his stuff. Very easy to talk to, not at all arrogant, his midwives are lovely. Pro vaginal birth (although I ended up having to have a c-sec).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnybambino For This Useful Post:

Kellbell85  (02-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also, so sorry to hear about your birth experience. I had a failed epidural with my first and I was so nervous (terrified!) of being able to feel something during my c-sec. The whole team were so reassuring during the c-sec.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnybambino For This Useful Post:

Kellbell85  (02-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to Dr Susan Isdale at Joondalup Private Hospital 😊

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura92 For This Useful Post:

Kellbell85  (02-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've just had my second at Joondalup Private Hospital and have had fantastic experiences both times. Both Susan Isdale and Margo Norman are great.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RastaMouse For This Useful Post:

Kellbell85  (02-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies I will check them out would love to hear from anyone else as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I've been to SJOG Subi, SJOG Murdoch and KEMH and they are all good - though with King Eddy you either have to live in the catchment or be high risk, so probably not an option for you.

As for Obs, I've seen Glenn Lewis, Adam Gubbay and Michael Gannon and would recommend them all.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Kellbell85  (03-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you considered an independent midwife? Or a homebirth? I saw one of the Obs mentioned at joondalup private and wasn't to happy especially with the restrictions given on achieving a VBAC pm me if you want more info
    So I've hired an independent midwife and having a homebirth
    Last edited by maco; 03-05-2014 at 13:28.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to maco For This Useful Post:

Kellbell85  (03-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks maco - although i think the idea of a home birth is really lovely I don't think its for me...I had quite a lot of issues with last pregnancy (GDM, ?pre exlampsia, kidney stones) and birth including a 2.5L PPH from a ruptured uterine artery...so have some anxieties towards future births so would definitely feel more comfortable in a
    Medical environment...I doubt I would be a candidate for a home birth anyway.

Though I would like a VBAC, my ob last time said he would not recommend me having vaginal births. I would like a second opinion on that though...more for the fact I feel so anxious about going for a c-section and feeling being cut open again and reliving the memories...

This is why I'm wanting an obstetrician that is understanding and kind cos I might be a bit precious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's ok! But I would still suggest talking to an independent midwife for some advice to? They will usually have a long chat and give some advice. If that doesn't interest you and you are happy with having a csection due to the issues with your first pregnancy that's totally fine and up to you although I don't know your medical history there are a lot of Obs who "recommend" not going natural but after lots of research and info most of those recommendations are not made in the best interest of mother and baby. A second opinion is always best and maybe from an IM she might be able to give you more unbiased advice looking through your records

joondalup private is brand new and those doctors are well regarded.
    Last edited by maco; 03-05-2014 at 14:20.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to maco For This Useful Post:

Kellbell85  (03-05-2014)