+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sorry to be gross but... (tmi warning sorry)

Im really embarrassed so please be kind.
    Can straining (read: pushing really really hard) to do #2 be harmful to baby. Im almost 20 weeks and have BAD constipation (and sorry tmi. And halfway thru it gets stuck) so ive had to really push to get anywhere. im really worried that ive harmed the baby. Can it harm a pregnancy. .. beside the obvious hemorrhoids and stuff that you can get from it. But I mean placenta or anything inside. Am I even making sense?

Also. I eat alot of fibre but it makes it worse. What can I do to help with it beside fibre.

Third pregnancy, you'd think id know this stuff already but ive never really had this problem before.

So so sorry for the tmi.
    Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, it will do damage to you than anything else.
    Try eating fruit, drinking pear juice. Or there are things you can get from the chemist

Sent from my X10i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Make sure you're balancing fibre with lots of water. I have found a glass of metamucil followed by a large glass of plain water really helps. Lots of fruit may help. Otherwise if it doesn't improve go ask you pharmacist or GP for something a bit more hardcore that's safe in pregnancy.

Don't worry about bub, I know it feels like you'll push them out but you won't!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor thing I've had similar symptoms! I take coloxyl without senna a but benefiber also works well for me. I've also had to switch up my multi vitamin as my iron levels were high and the elevit was making it worse. Good luck and hope it settles down!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No you can't hurt baby, but can exacerbate haemmorhoids which can be painful for you! My advice DON'T STRAIN!!!! Prop your feet up on something to change the angle of your hips. This will widen things a bit to help the stool pass easier. I use a shoebox at home for when things get a little tough. My husband laughed at me at first, but then used it himself one day and was amazed the difference it made. Rather than strain hard and get out of there quickly, give yourself time on the toilet. Take 20min if you have to. Gravity will help you some of the way.

- Drink plenty of water
    - Add soluble fibre into your diet (fruit, pear/prune juice, Benefibre). My gastroenterologist swears by Benefibre. It's his number one recommendation for people to take daily regularly. It's not as harsh as Metamucil or plain psyllium husk.
    - Safe medications include coloxy (but WITHOUT senna), as is Movicol. Coloxyl is a softener and Movicol helps by drawing water into the bowel to soften the stool. Both are gentle. My recommendation out of the 2 is Movicol as it's very gentle.
    - Talk to your pharmacist about safe enemas in pregnancy. Microlax *should* be ok, but we don't use it a lot so double check with your pharmacist. Particularly helpful if it's all sitting just inside and you're having trouble getting it out.
    - They say warm drinks are good too, so hot tea, hot milo, hot milk, plain hot water.

Hope it helps, good luck! Constipation is not fun!
    Last edited by M'LadyEm; 02-05-2014 at 07:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had awful constipation with this pregnancy as well (currently 23 weeks) I put up with it also, tried prune juice etc. One night I sat on the toilet for 1.5 hours scared also that I was harming the baby by straining and pushing!

I went to the chemist the next day and was given the option of movicol and actilax by the pharmacist - who assured me both were safe to take during pregnancy. I chose actilax simply because it was cheaper. I pour some in a big glass of water before I go to bed and feel so much better since I have been taking it and have had no issues like before.

I hope it eases for you soon! Please don't put up with it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a PP said - extra iron from the Elvit I was taking made me constipated. It eased when I stopped taking the Elvit, and kiwi fruit plus prune/pear juice and heaps of water helped.