+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Are you sure she doesn't have a sensory issue?

If she doesn't, I'd just get rid of the nightie. Cold turkey. She won't scream forever.
    Depends on who has more resilience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KatiesMum View Post
    which character?

DD went through a phase of liking all kinds of characters ... maybe I have some stuff ...
    This from me as well. I might have something I could send?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly? Id let her wear it. You can't actually get sick from the cold. Your immunity may be marginally effected (very) but a virus or a bacteria is what makes you sick. Let her wear it and teach her to pull her covers up when she wakes cold. And she'll keep her comfort item and grow out of it when she is ready. She won't get hypothermia or anything. She really won't.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ElizaDoLittle For This Useful Post:

sweetpeamummy  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Also is it only really a problem when she wears it out or is she also getting cold in bed?

Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age but I'd let her wear it to bed but not outside the house if that's what making her cold. Make a deal with her that it's one but not both.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Are you sure she doesn't have a sensory issue?

If she doesn't, I'd just get rid of the nightie. Cold turkey. She won't scream forever.
    A sensory issue? Would you mind explaining what you mean? She gets attatched to things. Goes through phases of fav toys, blankets, ect. She does prefer the minky soft blankets and strokes them while she watches tv and as she falls asleep...same with a soft toy, she strokes it for comfort. But the nightie.....I've caught her smelling it once. Apparently she was checking if it was clean?!
    yeh she prob would scream forever and hate me forever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Also is it only really a problem when she wears it out or is she also getting cold in bed?

Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age but I'd let her wear it to bed but not outside the house if that's what making her cold. Make a deal with her that it's one but not both.
    i really don't mind if she wears it out , she has worn bathers and tutu's out on her own accord and I let her baca use we need to be somewhere and I don't have time to deal with tantrums. Usually people are very understanding when they see her in her get up lol.
    my issue is her early waking because she's cold. She wakes me up, says she's freezing, gets into bed with us and every ounce of her body is stone cold. she only stays in bed with us for all of 10mins then demands breakfast. Won't get out of nightie without a tantrum. The mornings are chaotic, the nights are stressful and long.
    She doesn't keep blankets on. Never has. Won't let me put a blanket on her when I put her to bed I go in before I go to bed and cover her up and hope for the best .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ElizaDoLittle View Post
    Honestly? Id let her wear it. You can't actually get sick from the cold. Your immunity may be marginally effected (very) but a virus or a bacteria is what makes you sick. Let her wear it and teach her to pull her covers up when she wakes cold. And she'll keep her comfort item and grow out of it when she is ready. She won't get hypothermia or anything. She really won't.

She is rarely sick. I am more concerned about her sleep as she wakes so early, has about 6hrs a night. I am worried it will all catch up to her.
    i know I don't sleep well when I'm cold. I know without adequate rest and sleep can make a little child more vulnerable to illness. I feel her body is working overtime to keep warm! It's gonna crash sooner or later, right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Ou,d she wear a dressing gown over it? DD1 went through a stage of wearing a dressing gown to bed. It helped.

I've been taking DD2 to a child psych for her anxiety issues and one of DD2's problems is decision making. If she has to do something she doesn't want to do (go to school) she'll spend ages stressing over what shoes she's going to wear to the point where it leads to an anxiety attack. What the psych has suggested it that she has a set amount of time (eg 3 minutès) to choose something or my default position wins. Just wondering whether something like that might work with your DD? Maybe tell her because she's waking so early she needs to wear a warm layer over her nightie or pull the doona up and if she doesn't choose something before the buzzer goes off you get to choose. So the choice isn't whehter she wears something but rather what it is.

She may be too young. Just thought it might be worth a shot.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Eta you discuss it her mid morning not at bedtime. It needs to be agreed well before the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Muffet View Post
    A sensory issue? Would you mind explaining what you mean? She gets attatched to things. Goes through phases of fav toys, blankets, ect. She does prefer the minky soft blankets and strokes them while she watches tv and as she falls asleep...same with a soft toy, she strokes it for comfort. But the nightie.....I've caught her smelling it once. Apparently she was checking if it was clean?!
    yeh she prob would scream forever and hate me forever.
    Google sensory processing disorder, and read up on the tactile side of it. People with SPD have heightened sensations of things, their reactions can range from kids like my DS1 who likes to wear jackets and hoods ALL the time, so as to decrease the amount of noise/light/air/environment that reaches him, or, it can also manifest in kids not wanting to wear long clothes/blankets/etc because the feel of them touching their skin may feel like sandpaper or something really uncomfortable that they simply cannot put up with.

Anyway I'm not saying that's what your DD has but it's just something that crossed my mind when I was reading your posts.

If all is fine with her, honestly, she will not scream forever. Can you really see her screaming for her nightie when she's 18? 5? Even next month? She will get over it. She screams morning and night, and gets her own way. She 'demands' you to get up and make her breakfast. You certainly were right when you said you have a 3yo running your entire household. I get that you are overwhelmed right now, and that you don't have the energy to deal with it. But I don't think there's any way around this- she is going to cry for her nightie. But she can't live off 6hrs sleep at her age, she should be getting double that, for her development. You either need to accept that this phase will have to go on a little longer until you are strong enough (or she gets over it), or, you need to stop making excuses and just do it.