+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I've had an extremely strong willed 3 year old girl who wore skimpy princess dresses to daycare for an entire year including through a Melbourne winter. And we walked to and from daycare. I fought and I battled and I insisted and I didn't negotiate. And after being late to work for 2 weeks while this went on I gave up and gave in.

Eventually when it was 2 degrees she'd wear a light cardigan over her shoulders and if I was very lucky, leggings.

I endured every comment about how she'd get sick and freeze to death, and people would tutt tutt as I walked along in my overcoat with her in her princess frock.

In the end she finally started to wear normal clothes of her own accord. She never got sick, and to this day just doesn't really feel the cold (she's 8.5 now).

Being strong and having battles night after night wears you down and gets depressing. The experts say it takes a week or whatever but with my dd she never gave in. Not on this. For whatever reason in her tiny 3 year old brain it was really important to her so I let her win that one.

And now she's an incredibly rational kind and non argumentative child (most of the time). Winning this battle didn't turn her into a monster.

So I guess what I'm saying is assess how important is it to you to win this one and take it from there. I've not had this issue with my other kids only DD1. I share your pain. It's tough.
    Last edited by Sonja; 01-05-2014 at 21:50.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

harvs  (01-05-2014),Little Miss Muffet  (01-05-2014),MilkingMaid  (02-05-2014),MummaOJ  (02-05-2014),NancyBlackett  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I've had an extremely strong willed 3 year old girl who wore skimpy princess dresses to daycare for an entire year including through a Melbourne winter. And we walked to and from daycare. I fought and I battled and I insisted and I didn't negotiate. And after being late to work for 2 weeks while this went on I gave up and gave in.

Eventually when it was 2 degrees she'd wear a light cardigan over her shoulders and if I was very lucky, leggings.

I endured every comment about how she'd get sick and freeze to death, and people would tutt tutt as I walked along in my overcoat with her in her princess frock.

In the end she finally started to wear normal clothes of her own accord. She never got sick, and to this day just doesn't really feel the cold (she's 8.5 now).

Being strong and having battles night after night wears you down and get depressing. The experts say it takes a week or whatever but with my dd she never gave in. Not on this. For whatever reason in her tiny 3 year old brain it was really important to her so I leather win that one.

And now she's an incredibly rational kind and non argumentative child (most of the time). Winning this battle didn't turn her into a monster.

So I guess what I'm saying is assess how important is it to you to win this one and take it from there. I've not had this issue with my other kids only DD1. I share your pain. It's tough.

Dd does feel the cold. She Shivers and gets goosebumps and every ounce of her body is cold. I try to tempt her with socks and shoes but she won't have any of it. I end up giving her a warm bath to warm her up in the middle of the day, telling her she must wear pants and top afterwards. She agrees. She's then back in that nightie after 10mins.
    I am glad I am not alone with a stubborn kid! I hope she doesn't stay this way. Arghh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Geez it's rough. Your post really brought back memories of watching my DD rub her arms as she walked along because I knew she was cold but no way on earth was she admitting that to me.

I kind of feel for kids though. She's got a sibling, her world is changing as she grows up and it's like this nightie is her security. I see why it's a problem but I also see why she would love it.

But having had 2 girls who had strong attachments to things at that age I also know how soon they get over it. I liked the idea of the countdown chart. Maybe that could work?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    One last suggestion. Can you sew at all?
    If you could unpick the seams of the nightie and sew it onto a pyjama top. Tell her something silly that only makes sense to 3yr olds like oh wow your nightie was cold by itself so it grew some long sleeves and pants to keep warm.

^the above suggestion is totally clutching at straws but you never know.

I cut the picture of DD2's fav tinkerbell tshirt last winter and sewed it onto a jumper which she happily wore all winter and told people tinkerbell was cold so magicked a jumper

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (01-05-2014),VicPark  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are you sure she doesn't have a sensory issue?

If she doesn't, I'd just get rid of the nightie. Cold turkey. She won't scream forever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Muffet View Post
    basically. we simply can't afford a $4 or $15 pair of pjs....when there are 5 pairs already in her wardrobe (hand me downs). Just like we can't afford the extra bit of electricity on the bill for a small heater in her room. We are on the one income, I'm looking for work to solely help out dh with the debts. I'm sorry if this sounds neglectful or slack but it is how it is ATM and it is tight.

i have a 3 yr old running the household. It makes me feel like crap. But we are so exhausted.
    You're not neglectful or slack! Money being tight makes sense.
    Last edited by VicPark; 01-05-2014 at 22:29.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    I don't know if this would work. Maybe you and hubby block out a week together when you can both knuckle down together/be extra supportive of each other, then cook and freeze up some meals so that's all organised and do the tough love thing, then say to your DD something like 'in five days you will be wearing pyjamas to bed, because...'. Let her choose her favourites from your stash, then make a big thing out of washing them, getting them ready for 'Pyjama Night'. Then have five days of no bargaining, no tantrum, she can wear her nightie, but each night you put a cross or a sticker on a calendar or something like that as a big ceremony before bedtime. That way you will have had a little break from these difficult nights and can steel yourselves for what's coming? No idea if that would work, but it's something I would try, so she doesn't get a nasty surprise. Then is there something she likes like temporary tattoos, sparkly stickers or something that she could get every morning she wakes up in her pyjamas for a little while?

I agree that you will win the battle if you can persist. I know you're going through a rough time at the moment, and it's the last thing you need, so I also totally understand why the idea of toughing it out seems so tricky at the moment. Good luck, LMM...
    Mrs Harvey this is possibly the best post I have read on BH in ages....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

harvs  (01-05-2014),Little Miss Muffet  (01-05-2014)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    which character?

DD went through a phase of liking all kinds of characters ... maybe I have some stuff ...

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Mrs Harvey this is possibly the best post I have read on BH in ages....
    It's awards season, don't you know? 😜

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsharvey View Post
    It's awards season, don't you know? 😜
    You slimy thing... trying your best to bump me from the spirit of bub hub award!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

harvs  (01-05-2014)