+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Have to agree with VicPark. It may suck to deal with, but she won't keep it up forever.
    She probably would. She's so determined at getting her way, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Muffet View Post
    Buying new pjs is not an option because she already has an excess amount of perfectly appropriate ones. I also don't see what this is teaching her? (I have pjs, I crack a tantrum, I get new ones...?!)

we have tried giving no options, putting out a pair and talking to her about it, removing the nightie. She ends up screaming and carrying on untill 11pm of a night. We are just too exhausted to do this for a week? Would it really work? She wakes the baby and all
    I don't understand how you can be so inflexible about a $15 pair of pj's... Yet so flexible in giving your dd a choice of what to wear. She won't get a lesson out of getting new pj's.... It's not about that. It's about changing a tactic to get the psychological advantage so that you dd doesn't wake at 5am from being cold (ie out smart her).

Consistency is the key. Any approach you need to stick with it for at least a week. Chopping and changing won't work.

Do the supernanny technique. After the first 2 times of getting out of bed/ tantruming don't say anything and don't make eye contact. Put the pjs on her. Talking and negotiating just feeds the tantrum.

I'm not saying it's easy. And it must be hard having a bub as well. Could you plan to so something when hubby had time off work? For the week could you move bub to a different area of the house?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you cut it so it's no longer wearable? Then try and ride out the tantrum. It may take a few nights but she'll soon get the idea that she can't wear it and you don't have the option of giving in to her.

Personally my youngest had a 45 minute tantrum when he couldn't keep his dummy one night at dinner, I'd had enough if that, we threw it away and he asked for it that night and then hasn't mentioned it again. He was a bit over 2.

What ever you decide, work out a game plan and stick to it. And don't back down! Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I honestly don't know if I could put up with a week of screwing of an evening.
    She already knows her voice volume gets her what she wants.
    Screwing of an evening ? ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    She probably would. She's so determined at getting her way, it wouldn't surprise me at all.
    Adults are adults as they have more intelligence, maturity and stamina. You've just got to be committed, and have the time and be in the right mind frame.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you maybe cut the straps so it is just holding together so when she puts it on I 'breaks', th old oh no you must be to big for this now its broken. Not sure if it will work but if she is stubborn it might be taking away the defiant im not doing what mum says element. She will prob still be upset but maybe not throwing tantrums.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to inner hippy For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmumm View Post
    My DD (is 4) sounds as determined as yours and I agree it's exhausting. I'm sure being a police negotiator would be easier than dealing with her some days.
    People don't believe me till they've seen her in action she is an angel 90% of the time but that 10% devil ruins the rest.
    If it were me I'd give her the option of nightie on top of pjs or not at all, guaranteeing a massive tantrum. I stick to my guns and she eventually comes around.
    Good luck
    I gave her this option the day we had to go out in public....she ended up in just the nightie. Didn't help that strangers would stop and talk to her telling her how gorgeous she looked and how they wish they could be in their nighties!! Ahhhhh
    I had to be at an appt that day. I just didn't have time for all her crap.
    soooo, a lot of it is my inconsistencies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Screwing of an evening ? ...
    Lol.....yer that too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't understand how you can be so inflexible about a $15 pair of pj's... Yet so flexible in giving your dd a choice of what to wear. She won't get a lesson out of getting new pj's.... It's not about that. It's about changing a tactic to get the psychological advantage so that you dd doesn't wake at 5am from being cold (ie out smart her).

Consistency is the key. Any approach you need to stick with it for at least a week. Chopping and changing won't work.

Do the supernanny technique. After the first 2 times of getting out of bed/ tantruming don't say anything and don't make eye contact. Put the pjs on her. Talking and negotiating just feeds the tantrum.

I'm not saying it's easy. And it must be hard having a bub as well. Could you plan to so something when hubby had time off work? For the week could you move bub to a different area of the house?
    basically. we simply can't afford a $4 or $15 pair of pjs....when there are 5 pairs already in her wardrobe (hand me downs). Just like we can't afford the extra bit of electricity on the bill for a small heater in her room. We are on the one income, I'm looking for work to solely help out dh with the debts. I'm sorry if this sounds neglectful or slack but it is how it is ATM and it is tight.

i have a 3 yr old running the household. It makes me feel like crap. But we are so exhausted.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Muffet For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hugs. I understand LMM.

My 3.5 yr old only wants to wear the same Dora dress but it's just too cold now. It's hard and I understand why you give in.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (01-05-2014),MummaOJ  (01-05-2014)