+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dd won't wear anything to bed of a night...

Dd is 3 and is going through a phase of wanting to wear basically nothing to bed of a night. A skimpy nightie (that's miles too small for her) is all she will wear.
    the tantrums and how upset she gets of I/dh try to get her to wear anything more substantial is just full on and makes us all upset.

ive just added more blankets to her bed, she doesn't get hot. She wakes at 5.30 am absolutely stone cold and says "I'm freezing mummy". She won't even wear it over pjs or with a long sleeve top under it.
    We give her the option of choosing what she wants to wear to bed. But always goes for the nightie (we don't use this an an option) When it's in the wash or wet, she has a total meltdown.

the nights get down to 4 degrees. There is no heating in her room. Getting a heater in there is not an option. Dangerous and we can't afford it.
    She won't wear a sleeping bag thing.

I know its it's a phase and she is exercising her independence but I feel I need to step in and create a boundary on this one. I don't want her getting sick.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like this particular nightie is her comfort item.

The only thing I can suggest is buying her new (longer) nighties and letting her take the one she is obsessed with to bed; maybe tell her it is getting too small and she can take it to bed with her but teddy needs to wear it??

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Taffabella For This Useful Post:

haveheart  (02-05-2014),siennasyummymummyxxx  (01-05-2014),Starfish30  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you get her to go to the shops and choose a nice winter pair of PJ's? Then explain that as it's getting colder we put away our summer pj's (do a ceremony or something!!) and then get out her winter pjs. Maybe a nice pair of slippers and dressing gown to go with it? Then get everyone in the family to make a fuss??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffabella View Post
    Sounds like this particular nightie is her comfort item.

The only thing I can suggest is buying her new (longer) nighties and letting her take the one she is obsessed with to bed; maybe tell her it is getting too small and she can take it to bed with her but teddy needs to wear it??
    it is indeed a comfort thing. She comes home from crèche and wants to put it on.
    We have tried putting it On her baby doll but it made her hysterical.
    If we let her take it to bed, she changes Into it herself.

we have gone out in public with the nightie on. I just couldn't handle the meltdown.

I don't want her in nighties! I don't want to get her more. It's just too cold!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    Could you get her to go to the shops and choose a nice winter pair of PJ's? Then explain that as it's getting colder we put away our summer pj's (do a ceremony or something!!) and then get out her winter pjs. Maybe a nice pair of slippers and dressing gown to go with it? Then get everyone in the family to make a fuss??
    she has 5 Paris of good pjs for winter. Last years ones still fit. Buying new ones for this phase is not an option. We have explained a nightie sis no longer warm enough for the cold nights and she gets this, hence why she wakes so early and says she's freezing. She won't wear her dressing gown. I am hesitant to buy her slippers as she won't wear shoes. Except thongs.

she is a summer baby, sometimes I think we would be all better off living in the tropics!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Don't give your dd a choice of what to wear. Take the nightie away cold turkey, tell her what she will be wearing and don't give any attention to her tantrums. Stick it out for at least a weak.

I am not sure why buying new pj's is not an option? Pj's with a favourite cartoon character may help ease the process.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Funnels  (01-05-2014),haveheart  (02-05-2014),michellek  (01-05-2014),MummaOJ  (01-05-2014),Renn  (01-05-2014),RobinSparkles  (01-05-2014),Zombie_eyes  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Don't give your dd a choice of what to wear. Take the nightie away cold turkey, tell her what she will be wearing and don't give any attention to her tantrums. Stick it out for at least a weak.

I am not sure why buying new pj's is not an option? Pj's with a favourite cartoon character may help ease the process.
    Buying new pjs is not an option because she already has an excess amount of perfectly appropriate ones. I also don't see what this is teaching her? (I have pjs, I crack a tantrum, I get new ones...?!)

we have tried giving no options, putting out a pair and talking to her about it, removing the nightie. She ends up screaming and carrying on untill 11pm of a night. We are just too exhausted to do this for a week? Would it really work? She wakes the baby and all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you put a onesie under the nighty? Can you dress her once she is asleep?

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Agree with vic here. You're the parent she is the child (a very young one at that) being freezing like that she'll end up sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Seems as though you've tried the softly softly approach.
    Id get rid of the nightie and simply get out the pj's you want her to wear each night. Stick to your guns.

My girls dont like slippers but love those slipper sock things with the black non slip soles