+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Calm/Hyno/water birth - what was your experience?

Hi ladies,

So I am 18 weeks and starting to think about what kind of birth I'd like to try for. I've asked to be put though the midwifery group practice at my local hospital but I am still waiting to see if I qualify.

I've just heard about hypno and calmbirthing - can someone tell me of there is a difference? Has anyone here used it for their birth? Did it work?

I have also been considering a waterbirth, but there are limited baths so if one isn't available on the day then I can't go that way.

Ideally I'd like my birth to be as calm and relaxed as possible, and if I could somehow involve DH more in it too I think that would be beneficial for all of us I am of course worried about how I will handle the pain, so I'm trying to educate myself and see what methods help with this process.

So any stories/resources/ideas people would like to share, I'd love to hear!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Following I'm interested in taking a course but would like to know about both

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hypno/calm birth was a bit to intense for me plus there are no classes here in perth so I didn't go that route.

I did however read and use techniques from birth skills by juju sunkin and found it great. Took what I needed and found some techniques particularly helpful. Heck, I got through 36 hours of 8 min or less contractions and 18 hours of active labour with no drugs!

I used the bath for hours but didn't birth in there and found it great to relax in. On land I started struggling to relax between contractions but in the bath I was so relaxed I fell asleep a couple of times.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

sweetpeamummy  (01-05-2014)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I didnt end up with a waterbirth (though had planned to have one) but labouring in water was great!

I did calmbirth, but didnt practise it enough. As far as i know its very similar to hypnobirthing.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did a water birth and it was awesome! I actually enjoyed labour and being in the water so took much of the intensity and pain away. Would definitely do it again and highly recommend it. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    Hypno/calm birth was a bit to intense for me plus there are no classes here in perth so I didn't go that route.

I did however read and use techniques from birth skills by juju sunkin and found it great. Took what I needed and found some techniques particularly helpful. Heck, I got through 36 hours of 8 min or less contractions and 18 hours of active labour with no drugs!

I used the bath for hours but didn't birth in there and found it great to relax in. On land I started struggling to relax between contractions but in the bath I was so relaxed I fell asleep a couple of times.
    OMG Shani what an awesome job you did!! X

I agree with Shani with water. I have had 4 drug free births (except tried a breath of gas with my first). My first was an induction on a bed and it was torture to me. My second I laboured in a dark room in a bath and like Shani I fell asleep a couple of times.
    My third I was in a shower again with the lights out.
    My final baby was supposed to be a water home birth but I got out to go to the toilet and baby came!! I laboured in the bath and it was early morning so minimal lights.

So for me water and minimal lights played a huge role in me relaxing through labour. I also has read before my 4th baby a lady who described how she imagined with her contractions her bagina opening up for her baby to come out. I did this and it really helped me stay focused.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH and I just completed a course on Hypnobirthing, which we found to focus on relaxation techniques and skills to assist with birthing in a stress, fear and anxiety free environment. I would highly recommend looking into it!! It also focuses on your support person (in my case DH) being a major player on the day of delivery. Check out their website, well worth every cent and time invested!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH and I did a hypnobirthing course and we found it very helpful, mostly because it gave us both confidence.

I managed to labor quite calmly on the big day, though I did end up having gas, pethidine and epidural by the end. But I did a good stint just using the relaxation techniques and the midwives were impressed with how calm I was!

Next time I'm having an epidural but I should brush up on my hypnobirthing skills too so I go into it calmly

Thanks
    Reviews
    I laboured and birthed in water and will do the same with this bub provided all goes well. Whilst I was blessed to not have a long or excruciatingly painful labour, it was still an instant relief for me the second I got in. It was all I needed for pain relief, no gas or anything used

Dh was in the bath with me and was helping keep me propped up at times so I think he felt like he was useful at least a little bit!

I have also looked into hypnobirthing this time but undecided whether ill look further into it

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! I've googled a bit of stuff on hypnobirthing but still a little confused as to what it is - it seems to be relaxation techniques to help you keep calm is this right? or is there more to it? The classes in Adelaide are pretty pricey and probably a bit out of my price range, so might just stick to books and videos at this stage to see if I am interested.

I think I'd really like a water birth but if the baths aren't available I think I might need a back up plan!? Or even if they are a combination of different things may work. I'll also get a hold of a copy of Birth Skills thanks @shani2 - I had heard of it before but the name escaped me.