+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Preparing for TTC

Hi guys,

I am trying to get my head around all this conception stuff & wondering if anyone can give me any advice. I trying to read up on here & my head is spinning!

Never had kids, never had a close family member with kids, just basically completely clueless but hubby & I want to start to try in November.

I am 31yo & have been on the pill since I was 17yo. Currently I am trying to loose a bit of weight, planning to make a dental visit, currently have to take vitamin D due to deficiencies, trying to reduce sugar & alcohol consumption.

I am just wondering if you can all open my eyes to the world of TTC. What should I be doing now, when should I start to take folic acid, what are all the abbreviations you all use here?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi OP, check out this helpful link: http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...d.php?t=517789

And join the May TTC thread to connect with like minded TTCers which you will find here: http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...d.php?t=518969

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chillies For This Useful Post:

poochella  (02-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok what I did ( this was back in 2012).

- I first got blood test about 6 months before, checking deficiencies but also immunity ( rubella ect) as some vaccines require to be taken a few months before you can ttc
    - had a Pap test
    - started tracking my cycle
    - took pre natal vitamins
    - checked phi was up to date
    - researched oby so I could book right away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Ok what I did ( this was back in 2012).

- started tracking my cycle
    - checked phi was up to date
    - researched oby so I could book right away
    Question 1: Can you track your cycle if your still on the pill, I would assume no.
    Question 2: What is Phi
    Question 3: I will be going through the public system, do I still need to book an obstetrician or can a GP be enough? Only because I really like my GP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Phi is private health insurance.
    I went private so I had to, as you're going public I think you should be able to do shared care.
    No you can't track when on pill as you're not ovulating.
    I would have a chat with your GP about wanting to start a family

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (02-05-2014),poochella  (02-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw my GP a couple of weeks ago and I advised her of our plans TTC in November. She said start taking 0.5mg of folic acid every day from now.
    I would start making a decision as to whether your going Private or Public.
    Aswell We've opened up another bank account so $100 goes into that every week.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kaleissk For This Useful Post:

poochella  (03-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by poochella View Post
    Hi guys,

I am trying to get my head around all this conception stuff & wondering if anyone can give me any advice. I trying to read up on here & my head is spinning!

Never had kids, never had a close family member with kids, just basically completely clueless but hubby & I want to start to try in November.

I am 31yo & have been on the pill since I was 17yo. Currently I am trying to loose a bit of weight, planning to make a dental visit, currently have to take vitamin D due to deficiencies, trying to reduce sugar & alcohol consumption.

I am just wondering if you can all open my eyes to the world of TTC. What should I be doing now, when should I start to take folic acid, what are all the abbreviations you all use here?
    Hey Poochella,

Im 28 my partner is 30. We've been together for 4 years. We live in Perth.
    Yes its very overwhelming getting organised to ttc.
    I have been reading everything there is to know about conception, pregnancy, birth and parenting, There is soooo much info out there. My partner of 4 years and i are starting our TTC journey in October. (sooner if i get my way *cluck cluck*)
    I havent had much to do with kids throughout my life but all my friends are starting to have kids and I've been so clucky wanting one of our own.
    Im not talking from experience as i am in the same situation as you are but this is my plan:
    -Was on the pill for 14 years, been off the pill for 8 months, my cycles are a little bit off but still get them regularly.
    -I have been continuing my clinical pilates to keep fit, prepare my pelvic floor muscles and dodgy back.
    -I have already gone to my GP for a check up, had blood tests to check immunity and got papsmear done. Discussed tapering off my anti-anxiety meds.
    - Researched a good prenatal vitamin and purchased BioCeuticals "InNatal" & Ultraclean EPA/DHA plus which i will start at the start of June. (Doc's recommend taking prenatal 3 months before TTC)
    - I rarely used to floss my teeth but heard that dental care is important during pregnancy so ive been doing it daily, and i have booked a scale & polish.
    -I am eating healthy and limiting my alcohol consumption to only a few on the weekend. We will both totally stop drinking as of July. (asked partner to stop smoking cigarettes as of July)
    -upped my private health cover just in case. Not sure if i will go private though, havent quite made my mind up but definently important to do as you need to be on it for 12 months before the baby is born. if you choose private you should pick a obstiatrician asap.
    -Researching my butt off! Seriously.... its all i do in my spare time hehehe
    -monitoring my cycles and tracking when I'm ovulating but not doing the tests because I'm anxious as it is and i think it would just stress me out even more.
    -trying not to purchase anything even though i want to start now :P
    -SAVING $$$$$$$$$ as much as we can.

When my cycle is over in the next few days and we start having sex again we will just have fun and see what happens... fingers crossed.

Hope this helps a little
    Last edited by Newly2BMum; 30-05-2014 at 00:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kaleissk View Post
    I saw my GP a couple of weeks ago and I advised her of our plans TTC in November. She said start taking 0.5mg of folic acid every day from now.
    I would start making a decision as to whether your going Private or Public.
    Aswell We've opened up another bank account so $100 goes into that every week.
    I also purchased non perishable items ( toilet paper, dish washing tablets, laundry powder etc) when they were on special at woolies. Ended up with over 6 months supply of goods saved $$$

12. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

kaleissk  (30-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great idea! Have been thinking of doing that. In the process of renovating our laundry so once that's done I'll have a lot more storage.
    Thought about buying a few boxes of nappies but I'm not to sure. They grow so quickly, if I buy say 2 boxes of one particular brand it may not suit. So many brands to choose from.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did nappies, 1 box newborn the I think 3 infant and then 4 or so crawler, we also use cloth so stretched out