+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week

Default medical for new job

I know when employing a new employee a company is not allowed to discriminate against pregnant women

However I was wondering if when you undertake a work medical to start a job, if they are allowed to give you a pregnancy test?

I have a job lined up and an employment contract signed that stipulates i need to pass a medical. I am now a few days late and yet to do a pregnancy test.
    (This is a permanent government position so i am bit stressing out).

I should also mention I have a strong history of miscarriage with over 13 already and I am not interested in placing my life on hold on the off chance the baby is a sticky past 23 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have never heard of them giving you a pregnancy test, but if they take blood I guess it would be obvious. They absolutely could not use those results to discriminate against you. And if I didn't get the job, assuming I was qualified, I would be raising the question just so they can demonstrate they had other reasons for not offering it to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    IF they were to take blood, I'd request a document listing all tests they plan to run on that blood sample, just as I would if they requested a urine sample.
    A medical for a job has no reason to be pregnancy testing though, unless you were signing up for the defence force etc

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My friend gets medicals each new job and they require a chest xray (not good when you're pregnant).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    FYI, I've done a medical for a job before and I didn't have to give a blood sample. They took my blood pressure, did non-invasive testing like a hearing/eye sight test and asked a lot of questions about my medical history.

It would be pretty sneaky if they tested you for pregnancy - I can't imagine that's ethical for them to do that really.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For my job I didn't have to give a blood sample - but I did have to give a urine sample. The tested it straight away and I was handed my results to pass onto my employer. They didn't check for pregnancy as far as I'm aware but each company has a different practice I guess

Thanks
    Reviews
    * Urine sample was for a drug test too as there are many forklift drivers on my worksite. They test everyone so it's not deemed discrimination.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on the new job!

I recently had to do a medical for a job application but they didn't take any blood. They did a urine test but only tested for protein.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't imagine any organisation would even run a pregnancy test in medical as it leaves them wide open to an accusation of discrimination.

You said this is a government role? They are sticklers for the rules (love a good bureaucracy) so there is not a chance they would run the test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    I am glad to hear they wont test for pregnancy. I would hate to turn down a permanent government job (which would mean being set up for life) on the off chance that the pregnancy is viable when i have huge fertility issues. It is a physically demanding outside job that is heavily male dominated. My partner and I have said that while we would love another child, the chances are so low that we have just left it up to good old chance.