+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I didn't get the chance to announce mine. As I was doing IVF, I was keeping my boss in the loop so as to have his support when I needed time off etc or had to go to appts during work. For all of that, he was great.

And then, after I got my confirmation... and I said to him, it's not for public knowledge... He goes and announces it at the next board meeting!!! AND THEN the other big boss comes and booms it out in the middle of the office to the accounts lady when I was on leave!!! To say i was livid (and still am) is the least.

So. Everyone knows in my office, though all have had the decency not to say anything... so I doubt I will be telling anyone "officially". They can just wait until it's obvious.

I will be 12 wks this wednesday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ooh good luck!
    I knew my boss would be ecstatic for me but I was SOOOO nervous telling him!
    I was so sick and couldn't hide it anymore- I had only been able to hide it to 10 weeks as I have a chronic illness and everyone just thought I was really ill with that.
    My boss was relieved I wasn't dying then almost cried with happiness. He was my biggest supporter while pregnant!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bow Ties, congrats on your pregnancy with IVF!!! My friend has just started her IVF journey.

So I have just told my boss. Such a little stress head over nothing lol!!! He was so super stoked and told me I was doing a terrible job of hiding my belly lol!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kelbel29 For This Useful Post:

Bow Ties Are Cool  (05-05-2014),lovebeingamum!  (05-05-2014),Me&Smooches  (05-05-2014),smallpotatoes  (05-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks @Kelbel29!

hahah love your bosses response.

For those having issues with their work.. here's a bit of info that might help you. If you want the link, PM me as it won't let me post it here.

What rights do I have at work during pregnancy?

There are laws that protect you from being discriminated against because of your pregnancy or, after your baby is born, because you are breastfeeding.

This means that you may not be dismissed, given reduced hours, less important work or be passed over for promotion or training because you are pregnant. Some people may start to treat you like you aren't serious about your work because you are pregnant. This is discrimination and you should make notes about it and talk to your human resources department or your union if it continues.

It is also against the law for people to touch your pregnant belly if you don't invite them to, make comments about your weight or body or discriminate against you because you are pregnant. You could try putting people off by saying, "I don't think you're meant to do/say that", but make a note of this behaviour if it is happening regularly. See your boss or human resources department if this kind of behaviour is persistant. You do not have to put up with it.

If you believe you are being discriminated against and your employer is either not assisting you or is the source of the behavior then you can contact the Australian Human Rights Commission. If you wish to discuss your complaint you can call them on 1300 656 419 or visit the website for more information on how to make a complaint.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bow Ties Are Cool For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (05-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Bow Ties. I had no idea about any of that discrimination information

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelbel29 For This Useful Post:

Bow Ties Are Cool  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Really? Wow.

The tradition at our work is to leave a bowl of jelly babies at the tea station and then we have to guess who is preggers. There is always a collection for a present and a gestation guesstimation (guess DOB, sex, weight) plus a morning tea. We've got two ladies due mid June with girls so we are going to do a high tea morning tea

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    That's awesome! I think every workplace should encourage and support like that. Maybe I should give my boss a bag of jelly babies when I tell her lol

I'm trying to work out whether to tell my boss at 12 weeks before she goes on leave or to ring her at 14 weeks once I have my test results. Not keen on telling her over the phone but DH thinks I should wait till we get the all clear and by the time she gets back I'll be nearly 18 weeks so I think it'll be noticeable to everyone by then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey.

I told my manager very early on. But decided to wait to tell my bosses once I got the all clear from the Down syndrome test and ultrasound. By that stage I think I was 16 weeks. It was extremely noticeable I was pregnant but we wanted to wait till we were in the all clear also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 18 weeks and haven't told work- I'm sure its been obvious for weeks. But everyone is being polite and just talking about it behind my back rather than to my face. I've been waiting for approval of my studies assistance which I think they might not approve if I tell them I won't be around much longer. But because we're going through a restructure no one wants to approve my leave - so I'm wearing lots of loose clothing!