+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Telling boss u r pregnant

Hi all,

I want to tell my boss's (I have 3 bosses lol) on Monday that I am pregnant. I will be 16 weeks Monday. My manager already knows and has been making my job even busier and more stressful since.
    I work in a very male dominated industry and all my bosses r make and most of the office staff are.
    So I am very nervous in telling them . I can't put it off any longer as my bump is huge.
    What was your experiences with telling your employer ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nothing really happened. I got congratulated and later down the line they provided me a foot stand so I could elevate my feet. And then we sorted out the day I would leave for maternity leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I worked in an all female environment where one of my bosses had been going through IVF (think she had done 3 unsuccessful cycles?) and, when they found out, my work-life was made into a nightmare. I ended up quitting about two weeks later due to the serious strain of it - I was having seriously scary raised BP and other health concerns caused by it!

I called an old boss to let her know I was looking for work and would like to use her as a reference again, and told her I was pregnant. She was super supportive and understanding of my crummy situation with the first woman (mutual acquaintance who is known for being pretty cut throat in our industry). She actually helped me find a temp job to keep me going until bub arrives, which I absolutely LOVE!

My new boss is amazing, his own wife just had a baby last year and he is very understanding of my limits and needs I think some male employers can actually be better, they can be a bit "soft touch" with you since they don't want to make any assumptions (much less ask!) about what you might be going through

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was having my evaluation done and my boss started saying 'I know your secret, you can't keep anything from me' and I said 'well since I'm only 6 weeks I didn't want to tell everyone yet' and she said 'wow you're pregnant I was just bluffing I didn't know. Yeah there's a good chance you could lose it being so early I wouldn't tell people either'

Grrrrrr still makes me angry 5 years later!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was made redundant at 12 weeks preg and took on a contract role without telling them I was preg. Contract was to end on my due date. I told my new boss at 18 weeks as I was able to hide it until then. I was expecting him to be really p'd off (as i'd have been in his case) but he hugged me and said "kids are fantastic, I'd have more if I could convince my wife" before even asking if I could finish the role. I worked until a day after my due date, bub was a week late and I was given a bonus!
    Total opposite outcome than i'd been expecting. good luck x
    Last edited by Mmumm; 01-05-2014 at 17:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yay kelbel so happy you got your BFP!!!
    With DD1 they knew I was on IVF so weren't surprised.
    With DD they guessed and my boss nicely told my coworkers I was pregnant before I had even told her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in a female dominated industry, and my area happens to be all female.
    My boss and coworkers knew I was doing IVF and were super supportive of me.
    When I got my bfp and time was good to tell, nothing changed for me as such.
    I ended up leaving earlier, on sick leave as I was not coping well. My boss organised me to see my nurse manager and she was very helpful in facilitating my leave and getting all my entitlements organised.
    I was acting in my boss' role when I received my bfp, so even though they knew I was aiming to get pregnant, my career progress was not stunted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope my bosses may surprise me in being really supportive.
    I'm pretty much receptionist, admin, project coordination and personal assistant for the whole office. So people r going to crack it that I won't be able to do their work for them anymore. They already get annoyed when I'm too busy to help them out.
    But hey at the end of the day what can they say that's really going to make my happiness away?!
    Thanks for the reprinted, was interesting to read how lovely and supportive some of your employers were and how unsupportive others were,

Thanks
    Reviews
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1398929034.985434.jpg
    See cannot hide the stomach anymore

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelbel29 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelbel29 View Post
    Attachment 53703
    See cannot hide the stomach anymore
    Going by that bump I think they might already have an idea

Congratulations and don't over think it. You may find you were stressing over nothing.