+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Offensive pear shaped bodies ad..,

Has anyone heard the ad on the radio that asks women to raise their hand if they're a 'pear' shape? Followed by the comment 'oh, that's a lot of fruit!' In a judgemental tone? It leads you to a personal training/gym/shake product and I am do ****ed off about it that I want to formally complain. I just can't remember the name of the product. Can anyone help?

WTF is wrong with being pear shaped? Far out, can't women just be themselves without having to hear about how their fruit shaped bodies aren't good enough? I'm not pear shaped myself, but in fuming for all the beautiful pear shaped people I know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it's offensive at all. Being pear shaped (holding fat at hips and bum with a small waist) is healthy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I haven't heard the ad, so I can't help you there sorry, but if anything needs to be endorsed by belittling a certain body shape/type, then it's not a product/company I would want to have anything to do with and I am sure lot of others would equally be put off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's for hypoxi. I found it a little off too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbie View Post
    It's for hypoxi. I found it a little off too.
    Thanks Colbie! I'm going to make a complaint tonight. What a horrid way of promoting a product! Especially when a pear shaped body is perfectly normal and healthy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What sort of complaint? Did they break a law or are you just going to complain and hope they pull the ad of their own free will?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (30-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    What sort of complaint? Did they break a law or are you just going to complain and hope they pull the ad of their own free will?
    If members of the public find an ad offensive they can make a complaint. I personally think, the way the ad is worded, is demeaning to women and more specifically women of a certain body type. I find that discriminatory.