+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If no health reasons to do so I would not restrict a child's diet so vastly. Would be hard to stick to at school, parties, etc too (in the absence of allergy of course).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Sounds like a silly diet. I've heard short term people see results but long term they pretty much become stuffed. As for putting kids on it in the absence of a medical recommendation... That's just irresponsible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am on the paleo diet, although I do still include some dairy! I personally love it, I just eat "real foods" there is so much additives preservatives in foods these days!! I feel so much better since eating this way :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Attachment 53663
    @Elijahs Mum

Your insight would be appreciated!
    I don't follow paleo as such ( don't eat red meat or chicken ) but totally agree about wheat and dairy not being necessary for adults or kids - as long as you are very aware where all their nutrients come from as I think the biggest negative with paleo can be some people assume it's mostly meats and proteins and veg and therefore miss out on a lot of fibre and other healthy fats and omegas from nuts/seeds/ oils/avocado etc

I think the biggest plus for paleo is the no sugar no processed food rule which of course is best for all of us!

I think kids eat far to much dairy and wheat these days but restricting it can be not only hard ( social situations) but can be hard if they eventually want to eat it , as in your gut literally learns to digest gluten and lactose as they are not meant for our system so kids that have never had it and say start eating it later in life may have problems digesting it ( if that makes sense ?)

I deliberately monitor DS bread and pasta intake - if he has toast for breakfast I make sure he won't have bread for lunch and we only eat pasta once a week , he has yogurt and cheese but has never had cows milk as a drink or formula replacement as I really do believe the amount of dairy and wheat/ gluten the average child has is way too much and I believe can cause health/ auto immune problems

We do eat legumes, beans and sometimes lentils, I also agree too much is not great but I also think too much red meat is a problem also ( I eat fish but no meat but deliberately give DS red meat and chicken and will let him decide later in life if he wants to continue eating it ) but DS only has red meat once or twice week and chicken maybe twice a week , fish twice and eats a few vegetarian meals a week also

Runny noses, gas , bloating, irritability, insomnia, ear infections, constant colds and other typical " normal" baby/ toddler problems can be ( not saying always ) linked to gut issues or intolerances to gluten or dairy that a lot of parents and GP,s dismiss as common childhood ailments where in fact their little bodies are trying to cope with an overload of these foods that we are told. ( by clever marketing companies ) are necessary for childhood development - which they are not

I think the best "diet" for babies and kids is a wide variety of fresh meats/ fish/ veg / fruit/ nuts/seeds ,oils/ fats, gluten free breads/ pastas in moderation , cheese and yogurt in moderation, rice and pasta in moderation and I would love to say no sugar but I think as long as 80.% of their diet is the above then the odd ice cream/ cake / biscuit won't hurt but the processed/ packet food and additives need to go first!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 30-04-2014 at 21:12.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

muzzy  (30-04-2014),PomPoms  (30-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks!
    Come to think about it, when I serve the kids dinner (other than a pasta dish), majority is meat (chicken or beef etc), steamed veggies, potato and a small amount of rice.
    It's the 'in-between' foods where I try to restrict processed snacks.
    My kids LOVE cheese!

I might consider paleo style snacks, as although DS1 loves fruit, I don't like him eating more than the recommended serving.

Elijahs mum, does your son eat mainly GF breads, pasta etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would never restrict fruit in kids, only processed foods. You want them eating different tastes and textures

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (30-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's also worth speaking to a medical professional about the link between the increase in anaphylaxis with such a restrictive diet. There have been proper medical studies done that show a big rise in anaphylactic reactions in kiddies that have restricted diets where their diet is not restricted for allergy reasons in the first place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubintummy View Post
    It's also worth speaking to a medical professional about the link between the increase in anaphylaxis with such a restrictive diet. There have been proper medical studies done that show a big rise in anaphylactic reactions in kiddies that have restricted diets where their diet is not restricted for allergy reasons in the first place.
    Good point.
    I wouldn't strictly follow Paleo, just curious if others do and their children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pastas no ( and that's really DH and my influence as we don't like gluten free pastas!!!) but bread we have an amazing European bakery near us so we do get gluten free or mainly sourdough breads which still do have gluten but far less than other breads but I do get the wholemeal mountain bread wraps for our kebabs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    I would never restrict fruit in kids, only processed foods. You want them eating different tastes and textures
    I don't restrict fruit, I just believe there should be a reasonable limit in a day to allow room for other healthy protein foods and vegetables.
    My Ds eats fruit with his morning tea and afternoon tea and it's a variety of raspberries, pear, apple, watermelon, kiwi etc. I've heard of some parents heading out to the green grocer a number of times a week to stock up on more fruit due to their kids eating a huge amount.

The recommendation is 2 fruit / 5-7 vegetable serves. But obviously a reasonable amount of extra fruit is better than a chocolate bar or packet of chips.