+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Travel with 2 week old?

Hi
    I am booked in for a csect soon and also have an invite to a good friends 40th but it is only about 2 weeks after the birth. Problem is that the party is 5 hrs drive away. Would you go with a 2 week old? Would I feel up to going so soon after a c sect?

I am thinking it's not a great idea but would love to be there for my friend.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by PoppyLoppy; 30-04-2014 at 14:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Bub should be ok. They definitely sleep a lot when so young. You could always wear them in a sling or carrier to keep them close, or if you are using a capsule they could sleep in that.

2 weeks after a c section you may still be a bit tender but not too bad as long as you don't push yourself. I had c sections with both my boys and I think at that stage I was more feeling the whole sleep deprivation, getting up every few hours with a newborn overnight type tiredness. The thought of a party, and a 5 hour drive would not have appealed to me at all. I found it hard enough being a bridesmaid in my sisters wedding and that was 6 weeks after my second bub was born. I was exhausted!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't have a c Section but I know I was exhausted at 2 weeks. My daughter fed every 1.5-2 hours, so a 5 hour journey would take 7 or more.
    Could you RSVP maybe and just see how you are feeling and how bub is? Mine is easy going but my friends bub was colicky and screamed the entire time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Oh and will you have someone to drive you? You may not be up to driving that soon after c section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm that's a tough one. Without any experience of newborns or c-sectons I'd probably not go, as I would think that I might still be feeling somewhat sore or tender after a c-section (as well as tired). A 5 hour drive with a new baby might be too much for both of you as well. Could you RSVP syaing that you will let them know at the time? Gives you a chance to see how you and bub are doing and if you are feeling up to it.
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 30-04-2014 at 14:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was quite uncomfortable on car rides after my c section for a few weeks. The seatbelt, any jiggling etc. was just unpleasant. I wouldn't be willing to travel that far so soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have a cs so can't comment on that part. But in theory going with a newborn is great because they will probably sleep the whole time.

However I don't think I'd left the house until 2 weeks other than to go to my brothers place as I was sore and overwhelmed.

If it's a close friend I would explain you really want to be there but will have to assess the situation at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't. I felt physically weak especially around my midsection for weeks and weeks and was in a quite a bit of pain getting in and out of things. Also the baby would probably be fine but the sleep deprivation especially if it's your first hits you like a tonne of bricks!
    But everyone is different so maybe just take it as it comes and decide on the few days before it you are up to it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it is your first baby/first csection then I would say no for a number of reasons (from my experience of 2 csections). If you will be breastfeeding it will take a while to establish, I wouldn't want to take a 2 week old into a crowd, you will be tired and still sore - if you overdo it you are at risk of hernia and infection. You may still be uncomfortable and it will be a long trip with feeding stops.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. You have confirmed my own thoughts really. I was thinking more of how bub would handle it but I think I may be pretty sore bouncing around in a car for that long.
    My friend is understanding, I know she won't mind if I give it a miss.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app