+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was advised by the paed to start ds1 on solids at 4.5months as he was a slow weight gainer and had reflux. It helped dramitically with both. I did try him on the rice cereal but he wouldn't have it. So then I started making my own pureed vegies, banana to begin with.

With ds he started solids at 5.5mths. I never bothered with the rice cereal.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did BLW for both mine, starting at a week or two shy of 6 months, after they showed the `readiness' signs for BLW (able to sit up in a high chair, able to grasp things in their hand and direct if to their mouth, loss of tongue thrust reflex and interest).

Neither ever had rice cereal and went straight on to `normal' food.

If you are interested in Baby Led Weaning do a google search, Gill Rapley in particular has written a great book.

I cannot praise BLW enough!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The guide of "around 6 months" has been the same since 2002 ( just been re confirmed with the latest Australian guidelines that came out last year) based on WHO recommendations

As with most other pp,s we started at 6 months with BLW and I did make a quinoa porridge for him ( puffed quinoa, formula and banana ) but he started on veggies , eggs and fish at 6 months

Farex honestly is just really good marketing , it really has no nutritional benefits and it's far better to start babies on fresh fruit/ veg/ fish/ meats than processed rice cereal , which is what they were started on before farex was invented in the 1930,s

http://www.drgreene.com/whiteout/

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (30-04-2014),Bubbles10  (30-04-2014),CSCA  (01-05-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    this is more so to see the varying ages for initial start to feeding - the farex I know has no nutrition but I know some have used it to thicken formula etc. its just interesting to see if anyone still follows older guidelines (I.e 3 mths) or if theuve had older childrem that started around 3 mths but now waiting till 6mths etc for younger children. I do believe ee all know when our kiddies are ready for food. I personally prefer to puree my own foods rather than use farex etc

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    BLW at 6 months. Never touched farex! The occasional purée if we went out but mostly eats the same meal as I do. We don't have much wastage at all either, I just put bits and pieces on the highchair tray and top up if she wants more or pack away for lunch the next day if she's had enough.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to caketin For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    BLW just before 6 mths for both my kids (now 4 years and 17 mths old).

ETA: I actually think we tried DD on rice cereal at about 5.5 mths. She had no interest so we swapped to BLW
    Last edited by sajimum; 30-04-2014 at 19:46.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My CHN told me that the WHO recommendation is to start solids by 6 months but not before 4 months.

I started DD at 5 months because she was showing interest, making 'eating face' and started teething. I gave sweet potato purée first up and skipped rice cereal entirely.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TaylorMade For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I had 6yo DD the guide was 6 months but many in my mum's group started at 4. I started her just before 6m. I read up after having DS last year and the most current research I found recommends between 4 & 6 months. I started him at 4months.

We have food allergies in the family so I started with pureed veg waiting 3 days between each new food (eg. First 3 days just had pumpkin, then peas and pumpkin for 3 days etc). I also offered finger food as soon as they could hold it and both mine were self feeding by 9-10 months (except yoghurt!).

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started DD at 4.5 months as she was ready. I did 2 tries if rice cereal which she hated so moved onto veges/fruit quickly. I do use the rice cereal now to mix with fruit and ebm as a type of porridge. She loves it!

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingbutterfly For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd 1 I started at 4 months on rice cereal just fruit and veg, 1 new food every 3 days was the recommendation 2.5 years ago. Dd 2 is almost 5 months just started this week, no interest till now, also just fruit at this stage. My MCHN advised me to start at 6 months and to give her everything ( no restriction ) other then honey till 12 months. She also said if I choose to start earlier I should again do 1 new food every 3 days up until 6 months! Hope this helps, I hate how the recommendations keep changing!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama of 1 For This Useful Post:

CSCA  (01-05-2014)