+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    A bit of both.

Luck
    I met my dh.
    Fall pregnant on my honeymoon.
    Than had a really hard time falling and stay pregnant.
    Than fall 3 times in row.
    Followed by another dry spell.
    4 year later ds2 and another 4 ds3.
    Luck having 6 great kids.

Planning
    Being a stay at home mum for 20 years minus 6mths when dh stay home and I worked. Even when it been a huge struggle we always worked a away. We have always been classed a low income family.
    Own our own home with even if has meant living in a shed for years while we save and build and save for the next time stage.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both with a dash of planning, hardwork and commitment over time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Met my husband through a mutual friend after school had finished. We had gone to the same school (and were in the same grade) but never met during school. So luck played a part in this meeting I think.
    We chose to marry fairly young while we were still establishing ourselves (I was still at uni and he had just finished an apprenticeship), and then chose to save to buy our own home before we started trying for children.
    We then planned to start trying to conceive in 2009, unfortunately with not much luck. Lots of planning involved with IVF and we were lucky enough to get our DS1 in 2012. I chose to take 12 months maternity leave from my position at work.
    Luck again stepped in and I fell pregnant naturally with DS2 while still on maternity leave. Definitely never planned to have children this close together but felt very blessed!
    Chose to return to work for a few months before DS2 was born so that I was able to take another 12 months maternity leave. But am now very lucky to be able to stay at home permanently-a good choice for our family as my husband works away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    largely luck. I consider myself very very lucky

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Planning. DH and I both planned our careers, went to uni to achieve this. I in particular made some very particular career moves in order to get to a certain point before I had kids so I could have flexibility and work the minimum but get maximum pay. So the financial, career and lifestyle position we are in now is due to planning and working towards it.

Luck I consider that we have been blessed so far with good health, no disasters, two healthy children and we were lucky to find each other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I believe that working hard and making good choices has lead me to where I am today.

I worked full time whilst completing a law degree in order to save a deposit to buy a home with my husband. We then used the equity in our home to buy an investment property.

We were together for 12 years and married for 5 years before having children so that we could be in a strong financial position. I was adamant that I did not want to have a family until we could afford it.

I made sure I had a tertiary education, owned a home and an investment property and had travelled before I had children.

After our second bub we sold an investment property and paid a big chunk off our mortgage.

I have now chosen to be a sahm and I am loving having the financial freedom to make that choice. I also have the education and experience to go back to a well paid career if I choose to.

I believe you make your own luck.
    Last edited by TeBe; 01-05-2014 at 09:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Both, but I think it has to be both for everybody - at least in Australia.

To live in Australia, and to have the opportunities that we do, we are all incredibly lucky. Even for those who worked hard to get here or to be in the position that they are, there's an enormous element of luck. TO deny that would be to suggest that those in the most impoverished and suppressed parts of the world have the choice to get out.

I think it's easier to make the argument, if you're in a ****ty situation, that it's entirely circumstance than it is the make the argument, in a good situation, that it's all choice.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (01-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree that in Oz we are all so incredibly fortunate in general. Even on a low income we lived like kings compared to so many in the world.

I don't know if I would call it luck but well-timed opportunity has played a large role in shaping how my life is right now. It has always taken work, commitment and planning to develop the chance opportunities into what they have become.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lately it seems to be choice
    I chose to walk out of my marraige

This has led to a whole series of events...

But luck plays a huge part too.. I think I am lucky that I have not become a train wreck when I really could have

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
    Dr. Seuss
    Still mummy to Agnes Ronald and Beryl.