+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Differences in labour with each child

Due to have another baby in the next few months and I'm hoping my second labour will be much easier than my first!

I had a induction with my first at 39 weeks, gas, pethadine, epi, vacuum delivery and 2nd degree tears - around 35 hours from start to finish.

With your second did you find it easier?
    Was it shorter?

I'm hoping not to be induced this time but it also leaves me a bit in the dark about what natural labour is like!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My second wasn't really shorter from start to finish, but the second stage was.
    My first labour started and didn't stop, 16 hours of quite strong pain.
    the second one was stop start for 23 hours all up.
    My third, fourth and fifth I had a bit of prodromal labour but my second stages were really fast.
    most women find the second is different from the first.
    It's worth reading as much as you can to see what you might like to do differently this time.
    im due in August too! I'm hoping to be settled comfortably at the hospital for this birth! I always seem to doubt I'm in transition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced both times, 2nd labour was shorter. Textbooks say they are meant to get shorter with each child but there are so many variables.
    Try to relax and focus on the end result! All the best

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caribbean View Post
    Due to have another baby in the next few months and I'm hoping my second labour will be much easier than my first!

I had a induction with my first at 39 weeks, gas, pethadine, epi, vacuum delivery and 2nd degree tears - around 35 hours from start to finish.

With your second did you find it easier?
    Was it shorter?

I'm hoping not to be induced this time but it also leaves me a bit in the dark about what natural labour is like!
    Wow your first labour and delivery was mine also. The second labour was very different, much easier, 4 hours 2 pushes and he was out. I was enduced the second time too but had my waters broken straight up. I will be enduced with my 3rd baby too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    My first was fairly quick, induction with two hours of active labour and 30 minutes pushing. Fairly painful contractions, I had pethidine which helped.

Second labour was also fairly quick but longer than #1. Spontaneous labour with 3.5 hours of active labour and 15 minutes pushing. Contractions were easily manageable in the shower.

Best of luck, hope it's a bit easier for you this time!

Sent from my XT925 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    First was spontaneous at 9days overdue, 22hrs, 3.5hrs pushing, 3rd degree episiotomy, ventouse extraction, 4th degree tears.

Second was spontaneous at 9 days overdue, 3hrs, I didn't push but second stage was 19min. Baby was compound presentation, 2nd degree tears.

Third was induced labour at 38+6, 1hr50min, baby was posterior, compound presentation, I pushed for 30min against a cervical lip, that was fixed and baby was born 17min later, 2nd deg tears.

Second was the easiest. Third was easy enough because it was quicker, but being posterior it hurt a bit more. First was the most painful and the longest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First labour I was induced by having my membranes ruptured. Four hours of back to back unrelenting contractions and DD was born.<br>Second labour my waters broke spontaneously, nothing happened for 8 hours until I was hit with my first whopper of a contraction. 45 mins later DS was born.<br>So the second was far quicker. I'm now pregnant with my third so hoping it's not any faster than 45 mins!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine were both spontaneous. First was nine hours, second was four.

Me 39 DF 35
    DD ICSI April 2011
    DD natural November 2013

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    My first was similar to your with the typical cascade of intervention that so often come with inductions - I narrowly avoided a c-section.

With my second, I had to be induced again due the repeat PE but this time around I had read a lot more and had quite a detailed birth plan - I had mobile monitoring so that I could move around and have an active labour, I was only going to consent to the synto drip as an absolute LAST resort (I didn't need it in the end), I refused an epidural and I ended up with a really positive birth and no episiotomy, tears or grazes.

Good luck with your upcoming birth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. So many factors to deal with I think I'll just have to wait it out!!