+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Keeping a toddler in their big bed.....

So we've just transitioned our 26 month old into a big bed. The first two nights he went to bed fine, after our usual milk & stories routine.

But Tonight he's realized he can get out & keeps coming into the lounge after we've put him to bed.....I'm so tempted to stick him back in the cot, it's doing my head in!!

DP is currently in there with him - we've been tag-teaming each time he gets up - it's been two hours now

How did you get your toddlers to transition into a bed, & then happily go to sleep instead of escaping out of bed after bedtime?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Basically it comes down to persistence. Make sure he is tired, keep a routine, keep putting him back and don't give in. Maybe put a baby gate in his doorway, try a nightlight with stars projecting or some lulaby music.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Persistence! It took a few nights of consistently putting her back to bed, and now she waits for us to tell her its ok to get up!! Go figure!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies.

Does anyone else have any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went through this!!

Every time he comes out, just walk him back to his room and put him back in bed. Every time. Do the same thing.

The first time you can say 'come on, let's go back to your bed' and give a cuddle and kiss, 2nd time just take him back again, don't say anything.

Don't talk or engage in too much conversation. Just keep it simple. 'Back to bed' or 'goodnight'

We had nights where DS would come out like 20 times!! He also started coming out in the middle of the night into our room and waking us and laughing and playing.

We just calmly got up, said 'bed time' and took him back.

He got the idea after a few nights.

It's exhausting but you just have to do the same thing over and over and keep your responses boring.

He will soon get tired of it.

He's almost 3 now and he never gets out of bed now once he's in there, only in the mornings when he wakes. I even have to go and get him after his arvo naps!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

debsch  (30-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As above, persistence helps. And being boring. And a door with a door knob he can't open (yet) helps for us too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't give up! Just keep putting him back to bed and telling him off for getting out, it may take a few weeks and much frustration but he will soon learn.

soothing soft music and a night light helped with our boys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    We went through this!!

Every time he comes out, just walk him back to his room and put him back in bed. Every time. Do the same thing.

The first time you can say 'come on, let's go back to your bed' and give a cuddle and kiss, 2nd time just take him back again, don't say anything.

Don't talk or engage in too much conversation. Just keep it simple. 'Back to bed' or 'goodnight'

We had nights where DS would come out like 20 times!! He also started coming out in the middle of the night into our room and waking us and laughing and playing.

We just calmly got up, said 'bed time' and took him back.

He got the idea after a few nights.

It's exhausting but you just have to do the same thing over and over and keep your responses boring.

He will soon get tired of it.

He's almost 3 now and he never gets out of bed now once he's in there, only in the mornings when he wakes. I even have to go and get him after his arvo naps!
    We did exactly this for night sleeps and it worked a treat. After the 3rd or 4th night of continuous get ups, DD finally gave up
    unfortunately it didn't work for day sleeps so once she was in the big bed that was the end of day naps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My first went into a bed at 14 months. I would lie with him till he fell asleep. I closed his door and he had a night light. He was too small to reach the handle to come out, but he never tried to anyway.

My second went into a bed at around 16 months. She was in a room sharing with her brother, so she just did what he did. I put her in, kissed her goodnight, walked out and closed the door. She never tried to get up. BUT when she got a bit older and realised she could reach the handle and come out whenever she wanted, it started to get a bit harder. I just consistently put her back to bed and tell her its bed time and she's not to hop out of the bed until the sun comes up unless she needs to go to the toilet. Some nights there's no arguments, others she's up and down a few times, but it's no biggie really she eventually goes to sleep.

More often than not they both sleep all night, but if they get up and come into our bed we just let them stay. As long as they have gone to bed in their own bed we're generally happy with that.

My 3rd is already in a big bed at 11 months. If he wakes through the night he calls out for me and I'm usually in there before he gets the chance to hop out of bed, but if he does he just walks to the door and waits for me. I don't close his door yet, but I will as he gets a bit bigger