+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone here work late/night shift?

I am planning to not return back to my current job once I finish mat leave, as I can't stand the place to put it simply. The job is depressing and emotionally draining. Ive had enough. But I will have to do something eventually, so wandering if anyone here does a late shift? Like say from the afternoon till late? I dunno what doing.. stocking shelves I guess. Im not really fussed what I do now, not having to deal with customers would actually be down my alley now.

We wont be able to afford child care costs for 2 kids so I am toying with the idea of skipping child care and DH watching the kids in the evenings while i work....

Is this realistic, or is it exhausting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am a casual nurse in public hospital. If that was something you were interested in. I haven't gone back to work yet but planning on doing 2 late shifts a week 2.00 to 9.30pm.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

Serenity Love  (29-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok I just re read your post. Patients might annoy you a bit if you don't want a job with customers. Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    Ok I just re read your post. Patients might annoy you a bit if you don't want a job with customers. Lol
    Oh don't get me wrong i love helping people and i guess my current job is on the phone customer service, which is painful. Face to face has always been better. But i don't have time right now to do a nursing degree - doesn't that go for 4 years?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a nurse doing casual shifts while on unpaid leave. Not the type of work your after but I'm doing a multitude of shifts including 8pm-1am. I don't get home till 2 and DS gets up at 6, with DH getting up and waking me a little at 5. So I get between 3-4 hours sleep. Honestly it is completely exhausting. Especially having to look after DS during the day and then on occasion he will wake during the hours I'm meant to get sleep. But because I do other shifts it's only 1-2 pweek. And I find it much more manageable if I do a Friday/Saturday night and DH will let me sleep until 9 ish.

Good luck finding something that suits, it's so hard!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm an AIN studying nursing, and I mostly do afternoon shift (2-10). I don't have kids yet.
    It's good. I get up at 6-7, potter around cleaning, errands, whatever then go to work. I'm not an early to bed person so it suits me pretty well. We also have a 5-9 shift that's really good for parents, as well as a 6-10 shift.
    A cert 3 in aged care is only six months and while the pay isn't fantastic, the work is steady.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do two evening shifts a fortnight, but I have a professional role so it's not something you can just do without the degree.
    But to answer your question about evening shift in general. I quite like it, it means I have the mornings with family (my shifts are on the weekends) to still do things, it seems like `free' money because for those two shifts I don't have to pay for childcare which is fantastic. I personally would not want to do it full time but to mix it up with day shifts as well I like it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Would you work in aged care? A certificate 3 can be done in less than 3 months with about 2 weeks of prac. You could just request night shift where ever you end up working.

Other than that all I can think of is things like night fill or picking internet orders in a supermarket. Pharmaceutical companies often have picker/packer jobs with night shift as well.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another nurse (and no kids) but from a late shift perspective - I finish at 11pm and am usually tucked up bed ready for sleep by midnight. I generally get up between 8-9am the next morning. Some days I finish at 11pm, and have to start at 7am, so get up at 6am for another 8 hours of work (I guess this might be a bit similar to being a parent hehe) - I'm usually pretty wrecked by the end of the day on those days and only try to do them when I then go onto days off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I do night shifts. My job doesn't require a degree but you need to go through a lengthy application process then complete and pass a course. There are a few similar jobs out there but most require some kind of training. Stocking shelves won't pay a heap but it's income- might be worth asking your local supermarkets if you aren't looking to retrain.