+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Public Facebook Profiles

I don't know why, but i for some reason constantly find myself questioning "why" whenever i come across a friends facebook profile and i notice it is set to public.

I have asked a couple friends in the past - and they just happened to have not realised! But with all the public profiles i see, i don't believe all of the are not intentional.

Anyways, i don't have an opinion on it - but i am curious to why? Does anyone on this site have their facebook profiles set to public for the world to see?

Some people i have noticed post some pretty personal things on their wall in their status updates, but its set to public!

This is probably a pointless thread. But I am curious if anyone here can fill me in to the purpose of a public facebook page?

I personally feel weird about complete strangers, or even people I am no longer friends with visiting my page and seeing everything going on in my life.

Well not everything .. but you know, whatever I share.

Maybe having it set to public releases the burden of being over protective of our privacy?
    Last edited by Serenity Love; 29-04-2014 at 13:53. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mines completely private but I knew a girl who had a few screws loose and loved the attention. She's always been an attention seeker and now she has the whole world as her audience

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is definitely something I wonder too, especially if you're not a public figure or celebrity.

I have always just assumed they don't realise or don't care about all and sundry being privy to what others may deem personal stuff/info.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Does it make you easier to find if your profile is public?

If so, maybe some people leave their profiles public because they want people to seek them out? I also imagine there would be people that just want to share everything and don't care who sees it (I'm thinking some of the younger generation here).

I wouldn't be comfortable having a public profile, especially now that I'm a mother and I have lots of photos of my DS on there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    Does it make you easier to find if your profile is public?
    Go onto your profile and up on your cover photo next to a button that says "activity log" there is a drop down menu. Click view as, and you can see how your profile is shown to the public. Can also see how your profile is shown to certain people.

Slightly off topic but if you tag a friend in a photo/status then all of their friends can see that as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Most people who have public profils also have 1500 "friends"! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I think sometimes it's a Facebook thing meaning it was reset or something. But I am in two mind on this in general. A) if you haven't got anything to hide then why care and then b) identity safety and protecting yourself from nosey people.

Fwiw my settings should be set extremely high unless something changed I didn't know about, and I only allow what I choose to be set public.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always make sure mine is set to private but a few times when I have gone to check it has changed back to public. Bloody Facebook does tend to have a mind of it's own. I haven't accepted the latest update for facebook on Android as I don't agree with some of the latest permissions such as sending emails from you and being able to read your sms on your phone!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootenanny View Post
    I always make sure mine is set to private but a few times when I have gone to check it has changed back to public. Bloody Facebook does tend to have a mind of it's own. I haven't accepted the latest update for facebook on Android as I don't agree with some of the latest permissions such as sending emails from you and being able to read your sms on your phone!!!!!
    Woah! I wouldn't be too happy about that either.

I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't have facebook ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's all types, and some people just love to share everything in life.... Personally, I would never, my profile is completely private (non-friends or friends of friends can't see it) but I'm not using my Facebook since a few weeks ago, I'm really over it and have completely lost interest in it. So many people post false lives on it or endless crap I'm not interested in. Anyway, I am glad I've made that decision,