+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your input!

We are thinking a lot about buying/adopting two rats. We would love to do "pet rescue", but it actually looks like lots of work. I am also afraid of the emotional aspect of it, as someone said before: getting to love your pet and then giving it away.

We are not rushing into it. We want to think about it before. I am trying to see how easy it would be to find someone to mind the rats when we are away. Do you think it would be nicer for the two rats to stay at our place and only have a visit from a petsitter a few times a week? or to be moved to someone else's house? I thought the second option would be nicer for them, they could play with whoever is minding them, they could see people who would talk to them etc. Not being left alone for 6 weeks... I don't know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanouk View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input!

We are thinking a lot about buying/adopting two rats. We would love to do "pet rescue", but it actually looks like lots of work. I am also afraid of the emotional aspect of it, as someone said before: getting to love your pet and then giving it away.

We are not rushing into it. We want to think about it before. I am trying to see how easy it would be to find someone to mind the rats when we are away. Do you think it would be nicer for the two rats to stay at our place and only have a visit from a petsitter a few times a week? or to be moved to someone else's house? I thought the second option would be nicer for them, they could play with whoever is minding them, they could see people who would talk to them etc. Not being left alone for 6 weeks... I don't know.
    I would send them to the other persons' house. Rats are very sociable and affectionate creatures. I think they really need the human interaction.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree you should send the ratties to someone's house, they love having someone to talk to.
    I don't send them to my mum though because she has cats! So they're safer here, and she comes every second day when I'm away, however that is never for any longer than a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I agree you should send the ratties to someone's house, they love having someone to talk to.
    I don't send them to my mum though because she has cats! So they're safer here, and she comes every second day when I'm away, however that is never for any longer than a week.
    We had cats and rats growing up, and the cats never once went for the rats. It was actually the other way around. The rats would attack the cats by latching on to their back legs and tail. .lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    We had cats and rats growing up, and the cats never once went for the rats. It was actually the other way around. The rats would attack the cats by latching on to their back legs and tail. .lol

Yes, same with my ratties and cats growing up, and even when the cats were bold enough to come and hang around the cage, the ratties knew to stay away from the bars. But my little cuties aren't familiar with cats, they don't know to stay away. It's too risky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello. Just a quick update (many months/years later ) to let you know that we eventually bought a couple of rats. They've been living with us for a few weeks now, and we are all delighted. They are really great pets for a young child, and everyone in the family loves them (from my 2yo daughter to their 35yo father). The only drawback, I would say, is the way some of our visitors react to them. My daughter really wanted a guinea pig or a rabbit, but we said no for different reasons. She eventually agreed that two rats would be great and she loves them, but I can see on her face that it saddens her when some visitor looks scared or disguted. People's ignorance makes me very sad too, and I sometimes wish we had chosen an "easier" pet which wouldn't challenge my daughter's ability to put up with people's hurtful comments. Of course, I know it is also a great opportunity for her, because somehow she is "in control", she knows about rats things that our visitors don't know, that she must feel proud of herself and of her rats. But still, especially for a little girl, there is always that "little princess" feeling that's looking for peers approbation. And I can't help thinking that we could have spared that one moral fight, she will have many other occasions in her life to learn that lesson... Anyway, she still loves them and I can't think of any bag thing to say about pet rats. They are cute, friendly, clever, funny. And they are so clean, my god! I thought potty-training them would maybe be a challenge, but they did it all by themselves. I put in the cage a litter box and since then I haven't seen a dropping anywhere else (it was INSTANT potty-training!). I wish potty-training my own children was as easy. Thanks everyone for your help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great to hear your ratties are going well OP!!
    I totally agree about the rude comments, I can't believe the hide of some people. I mean, I can't stand all the nasty miniature dogs that everyone seems to have atm, but I would never even dream of saying that to a child who owns one.
    The comments did get my son down at first, but the more he got to know his little pets, the more he realised that these people really knew NOTHING about the reality of pet rats, they only base their opinions on feral rats in the wild. So basically, we know that these people are unknowledgeable, closed minded and RUDE!

He has also found that other kids are great, it's mostly the adults that are the problem.

Have fun with your little darlings! Do you have a pic?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

ozeymumof5  (23-02-2015)