+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My daughter cuddles her chickens Out of the five, one is most accepting, so she goes after her the most. She sings to them, reads to them and tells them all her secrets. They apparently reciprocate

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, we will see for the chicks. We have got quite a few hatching in ten days, but if they are as big as the previous ones, it won't be cuddly. We loved them, but it is hard to carry around and their nails are painful on our arms.

As for a boarding place for the rats or whatever, I am looking into it. Do we need two rats so they are not too lonely, or they are happy to be alone? And if we leave them for one-two month, would it be better if they are two so they at least have each other? Will they be cuddled in a boarding place? I had a look online and I can't imagine the staff spending time kissing and playing with all the rats. I somehow think it would be nicer to find another kid (maybe a friend from school) who would look after it in the meantime. I mean, it would be great even for the parents, $10 or so pocketmoney per day (+ food and all materials) and your kid has a pet to look after for two months. I am sure it would work...

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do you cool down ferrets without air-conditioning?
    And lizards... cuddly? really? I mean, it sounds good (and yes we are going in July-August, so good timing), but would they really be cuddly? And aren't they happier in the wild? I don't want a pet which would be happier in the wild.
    Thanks everyone for your help!
    We are also looking into pet fostering, but it needs some organisation. Wait and see.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in Canberra also. When I was around 8 years old I used to volunteer at the RSPCA on weekends, washing and playing with puppies, helping to clean cages, brushing cats and ponies etc. I'm not sure whether they still have a similar program available, but it may be worth looking into.

There are also plenty of pet boarding facilities, as well as agencies which send people to your home while you are away to feed/play with/walk/clean up after your pet, or you can always look into a house/pet sitter. I think it is wonderful you are considering adopting a pet, there are so many at the RSPCA, local pound and with rescue and fostering groups looking for a home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes you need two rats. They are very social and get very sad and lonely if there's only one. We have three rats at the moment, but previously I used to get them in pairs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanouk View Post
    And lizards... cuddly? really? I mean, it sounds good (and yes we are going in July-August, so good timing), but would they really be cuddly? And aren't they happier in the wild? I don't want a pet which would be happier in the wild.
    We are also looking into pet fostering, but it needs some organisation. Wait and see.
    Move them to a cooler area of the house like a tiled bathroom or laundry. You freeze bottles of water, wrap them and put them in their cage.
    Mine love ice cubes in their water bowls on a hot day. They dunk their noses in and push them around.
    You can put a wet towel or sheet over the cage and face a fan on it.
    Give them cool baths.
    I guess there is lots of things you can do. Mine have survived through many summers.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanouk View Post
    Yeah I thought it was ridiculous that people called them cuddly until I got my first beardie! Honestly they have a really sweet little temperament, mine would run over to the glass on his tank as soon as anyone walked into the room and scratch frantically until you let him out lol and he was great with kids, even loved our dogs! Provided they are well bred (not wild caught) and handled a lot they are the sweetest little guys! They get called the 'Labrador of lizards' because they have such good temperaments

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our chickens are pretty friendly. DD picks them up and carts them around, they follow us around the garden. You can get cuddlier breeds. I had some kind of fluffy bantum. I've heard that ducks have much more personality though, have you looked into them?
    We had mice and rats growing up. Both were relatively easy to keep and gave us hours of entertainment. Best to get 2 of them though. Could a school friend be asked to look after them while you're away, possibly for a small amount of pocket money?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Long time lurker, first time poster here...
    In regards to rabbits being easier to leave than dogs/cats, they're not. They also fret. We rescued a rabbit in September last year from a family in QLD who had found him and kept him for a year (but then were threatened to be dobbed in so had to get him across the border) and only in the last two months has he started to show us his true personality and warmed up to us. He really grieved for his past family (when bonded with another rabbit if that rabbit dies the live rabbit need to see the dead rabbit to understand what happened...they stop eating and are inactive and if they don't know what's going on they can die from fretting for their friend, they go through the same grieving process when they are bonded to humans). When we went away for a week at Christmas, we sent him to my mum's, who sees him at least twice a week and he bit her, poo'd and weed everywhere (despite being completely toilet trained) and was basically a nightmare for my mum. As soon as he came back here he reverted back to his normal ways and has never bitten my mum again. From now on we are going to get someone to come here when we go away because he was too stressed living elsewhere, but I suspect he will still grieve and miss us.
    They also don't really like being cuddled. Patted and loved yes, but the only animal I know who loves to be cuddled are dogs.
    Rabbits make fantastic pets and are so interactive in their own way (eg. one of our previous rabbits was so food obsessed that as soon as he came inside he would sit in the fridge and wait for food, if you didn't get to it quick enough he would come and hop around for your feet, so you had to be careful not trip over him). Please don't doubt their intelligence or their ability to completely love their family and miss them just as much as a dog or cat when they're gone.
    Oh also, different breeds are more friendly...you can get Netherland dwarfs which are tiny, but they are skittish, and not kid friendly at all. Lop eared breeds are pretty friendly, but a dwarf lop gets to about 2kg, the mini lop is smaller. A general rule is boys are nicer than girls, although to keep the nice personality + to properly toilet train them + to prevent them dying prematurely they need to be desexed, and the larger the rabbit the friendlier they are.
    Oh, and most commercial cages are far too small for a rabbit to live in, they need a min of two hours outside of their cage to exercise each day (ours runs around in our yard from 7am-5pm in winter, 7-6.30 in summer) and their cage needs to be mosquito proofed. Although you can have a rabbit sleep inside without a cage as long as the area is rabbit proofed (our rabbit is not caged, but he has no access to wires and we make sure no homework is left lying around, else he eats it!)
    Last edited by Full House; 03-05-2014 at 11:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a Burmese cat who is a real people lover. We've gone overseas twice for extended periods and left her with the house-sitters and she has been fine with them. We made sure she met them a few times before we left and my mother and MIL both came over to check on her while we were away. She got on well with them and they would send us photo updates.

If you want something smaller then we've had both rats and ferrets and both were lots of fun.