+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    How about a miniature pig?? That way she has a kind of farm animal to help her with her farming passions, and a semi cuddly animal and one that's useful and eats the scraps that the chickens don't. And you can teach them to walk on leashes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    If you do get a pig be VERY careful what you feed them. The risk of causing a major disease outbreak is very real and will most likely be caused by feeding swill to pigs. This includes meat and any product that has been in contact with meat. If you provide swill to pigs you are liable for fines of tens of thousands of dollars.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Nanouk  (29-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    If you do get a pig be VERY careful what you feed them. The risk of causing a major disease outbreak is very real and will most likely be caused by feeding swill to pigs. This includes meat and any product that has been in contact with meat. If you provide swill to pigs you are liable for fines of tens of thousands of dollars.
    I read somewhere that most places you need a permit from council to have a mini pig in your yard. Not sure if this applies everywhere though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

Nanouk  (29-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had mice, rabbits, turtles and guinea pigs as pets as a kid, along with dogs, they all make great pets for kids. You can get dwarf bunnies which are smaller, if you are looking for a smaller rabbit. Mice were good pets but they aren't so friendly/cuddly - as a PP said rats are much better pets - they are quite intelligent and cuddly and will snuggle into laps and come for pats if they are trained from when they are young, they can be an awesome pet for young kids - they can also live happily in the tall multistory type cages that you mentioned in your OP.

As for fostering - the RSPCA is often looking for foster carers for all their pets - they also get rabbits/rats/guinea pigs and birds etc coming in too which need foster homes. My only concern would be telling a little girl she has to give back the pet once she has formed an attachment to it - while it can be a good lesson, I think having your own pet to care for is just as important too.
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 29-04-2014 at 14:09.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Nanouk  (29-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What would you plan on doing with the pet when you go away? If you have someone in mind, maybe you should discuss it with them first. They may have limits on what they will and won't pet-sit.

Fostering is a great idea.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Nanouk  (29-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again for your help.

Yes, giving away your pet must be a very hard lesson to learn for a little girl. Yesterday I was discussing with her all the reasons why we can't have a pet and the main one is that we go away for one/two month overseas to see their grandparents and the pet couldn't come with us. So I said "but maybe we could find someone to care for our pet in the meantime, let's think about it". And she was quite shocked that I could suggest something like that. She replied "no I'd rather not go and see my grandparents ever again !".

So I received some more information for fostering dogs and we need to think about it, especially for the sentimental reason. And we would really like having a dog, we probably don't need the temptation...

I quickly mentioned all of this to my husband, and he replied "well, then maybe we will have a rat"... I would have never thought he could agree on the rat.

Also, I was thinking of the rabbit. There is one main reason why I wouldn't buy an indoor pet rabbit, and I had forgotten about it : even though my dear husband doesn't know about it, I don't plan to have only chicken. I would like to have a couple of rabbits too, and maybe a couple of ducks. So there would be eventually (but when? maybe in three years time...) lots of farm animals in my backyard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What time of year do you go away? Some reptiles might be an option if you travel in winter when they go into a semi hibernation. We've had several bearded dragons and they are gorgeous, like little puppies, they love everyone and are very cuddly. My old boy used to spend all day hanging out on my shoulder when I was home, but if we went away for a week or 2 he didn't care at all! Turtles are lovely too but I've always found the beardies are easier to build a cuddly relationship with

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pandamonium For This Useful Post:

Nanouk  (30-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What about a guidedog? You need to follow a strict diet & training regime, but it's for a great cause.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

Nanouk  (30-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rats are really lovely. But I would be concerned about getting someone to care for them for extended periods of time.
    My kids have rats, they're so awesome. My mum has looked after them for a couple of week-long periods, but the length of time was such that she didn't have to clean out their cage, just check their food and water.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Nanouk  (30-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Chickens can be great pets if you raise them from chicks. They'll happily be petted and carried around.
    I'd love to get my kids a bunny but we aren't allowed in Qld. I think they'd be a good pet.
    We have a guinea pig (the last of many)...the kids have zero interest. I look after him and there will be no more after this one.
    I had rats and mice as a teen and I loved them.
    We have dogs and indoor cats....they will always be a part of our lives. I'd love a farm...that'd be a dream come true.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

Nanouk  (30-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanouk View Post

As for ferrets: I love ferrets, but they are very fragile animals. There is no (and never will be) air-conditioning in my house, and they don't like heat. But I would sure love ferrets. My first pet love.

I have no air-con either and my 6 ferrets are fine. There are other ways to help them cool down.
    As for going overseas, I'm not sure what's in Canberra, but are ferret boarding places around. I know the one on the Central coast has looked after ferrets whilst their owners were overseas.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

19. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Nanouk  (30-04-2014)